• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lamination error 2005 Penny
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Not a lamination, please explain what you are referring to.
Also a lamination is not an error, it is a defect in the planchet due to improper alloy mixing.

No lamination. I'm assuming you're talking about the dark color of the cent which is normal for a coin of this type when out in circulation exposed to who knows what. If you're seeing something else you'll have to be more clear.

What I see is a cent with a good amount of environmental damage as well as some physical damage to the rim. Note the verdigris beginning on the reverse.

No, not a lamination. The outer COPPER PLATING (not clad, not a brass or bronze alloy) has oxidized due to contact with sulfur and oxygen containing chemicals. The inner blank is zinc, and the plating is pure copper. Now, I take you back to 9th grade chemistry class. Take some copper, and some zinc, and an acidic (pH<7.0) liquid. What do you have? A simple battery, in which ions are exchanged and the electrodes (the copper and zinc parts) corrode. You have seen the corrosion. What you DO have here is quite possibly the WORST 2005-D cent I have ever seen written about and/or photographed. Congratulations(???) I guess. The idea of this hobby is supposed to be finding the BEST, not the WORST.

Edited by VKurtB