• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or just damaged
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I was going through some old coins I had and came across this 1998 Quarter, is this damaged or is this an error?

20231231_223543.jpg

20231231_223810.jpg

20231231_223641.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Your coin looks like it has spent some time in the bowels of a commercial clothes dryer or some other machine that has worn down the edge and one side. It is not an error coin but is merely damaged.

Welcome to the Chat Board

It is only an error if it happens during the striking of the planchet.  
What you have could not happen at that time so it is PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

However it happened to your coin, something abraded the surface, removed some of the metal, and left behind those deep scratches. This would not happen in the striking process and is not a mint error but simply damage to the coin.

Coins can sustain different damage in almost countless ways. Some intentional, some accidental, some experimental. Once a coin is severely damaged, it retains no collector value and as such, while I do like to try to figure things out and come up with solid, concrete answers as to how things happen, I find in some situations that sometimes it is not worth the time spent to try to figure out how it happened.