• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 D lincoln memorial cent. With what appears to be a rpm..
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board, and Happy New Year.

Please post cropped photos of each full side of a coin about which you have questions, as well as pertinent close-ups.

I don't know what you mean by a "rom".  You may have an example of a repunched mintmark ("RPM") variety known as the 1961-D over horizontal D, which is listed on NGC VarietyPlus and also in the Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties as FS-501, although your photos aren't clear enough to establish a match. See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) Here is a photo from VarietyPlus for comparison:

image.thumb.png.acd0f49b95d4c6c34ef0b2b88175e791.png

Welcome to the forum, I also have no idea what a rom is, and I also think it is very possible that your coin may exhibit the D over horizontal D RPM that @sandon noted in the reply above.   Very cool find although not very much value as your coin appears to be in a low circulated condition which reduces the value/demand for such an RPM.

The "O" is next to the "P" on a keyboard, so my guess is that the title has a typo, and the OP meant to type "RPM."

Welcome to the forum, Gary. You might wonder why you were asked to supply photos of the complete coin, front and rear (obverse and reverse.) The reason is that later die states of the D over horizontal D variety can possibly be confirmed by various die scratches and breaks, assuming the coin is not too worn to see them. You might want to take a look at the Variety Vista page for this coin, since you have it in hand, and compare it to the pictures and descriptions there. Here is the link: click here

On 12/31/2023 at 11:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, I also have no idea what a rom is, and I also think it is very possible that your coin may exhibit the D over horizontal D RPM that @sandon noted in the reply above.   Very cool find although not very much value as your coin appears to be in a low circulated condition which reduces the value/demand for such an RPM.

I meant rpm but my phone auto corrected and i done posted it before i saw it amd dont know how to change it

On 1/1/2024 at 12:53 AM, Just Bob said:

The "O" is next to the "P" on a keyboard, so my guess is that the title has a typo, and the OP meant to type "RPM."

Welcome to the forum, Gary. You might wonder why you were asked to supply photos of the complete coin, front and rear (obverse and reverse.) The reason is that later die states of the D over horizontal D variety can possibly be confirmed by various die scratches and breaks, assuming the coin is not too worn to see them. You might want to take a look at the Variety Vista page for this coin, since you have it in hand, and compare it to the pictures and descriptions there. Here is the link: click here

I did mean rpm but auto correct change it to rom 

If you use the "Edit" function under the three dots at the right side of your first post, you should also be able to edit the title of your topic.

The blob beneath the Lincoln Memorial is likely a die chip, which is rather common on cents of this era. The coin has Extremely Fine or so details but also has rim and surface damage that would reduce its desirability and value.  It's still a nice circulation find.

It looks like a 1961-D 1C RPM-001 or FS-501 repunched mint mark to me, although due to the condition not much added value.  It is a nice circulation find to put in a flip and add to a miscellaneous error/variety box.

On 1/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, Sandon said:

The blob beneath the Lincoln Memorial is likely a die chip, which is rather common on cents of this era.

That does look like a Stage D/E die break as a marker for an FS-501.  Variety Vista has an image of this.

http://www.varietyvista.com/02b LC RPMs Vol 2/1961DRPM001.htm

Edited by EagleRJO

Good find, Like Eagle said not much value but You do have the satisfaction of knowing it is a keeper. (thumbsu