• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982D small date copper
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I found two 1982D mint mark small date copper pennies in one day, new to coin collecting anybody want to fill me in with what I can do about this find. Will post pictures as soon as I get home 

Edited by PennyDaze

Welcome to the forum.

Have you weighed the coins? They need to be weighed on an accurate scale that reads in grams to two decimal places (hundredths of a gram). There were two different cent compositions that year, as I am sure you know. The copper-coated zinc version should weigh around 2.5 grams, and the brass version should weigh around 3.11 grams. Be sure to orient your pictures correctly and crop out all of the background. That makes it easier for all of us old men on here to see what you have and offer help.

No one can provide you with any advice without seeing the coins and with accurate information including weight to two decimal places.   But the odds are that as someone new to collecting that you are mistaken, there are only a couple small date copper composition coins known the odds do not favor you finding two more.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 12/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, PennyDaze said:

I found two 1982D mint mark small date copper pennies in one day,

It would be about as likely for you to find two 100 troy ounce gold bars lying on your porch. We shall see.

The chances of finding a copper 1982-D SD cent are virtually zero, so I will bet the family ranch they are large dates or platrd zinc that weighs about 2.5g. ;)

On 12/29/2023 at 9:39 PM, PennyDaze said:

I found two 1982D mint mark small date copper pennies in one day, new to coin collecting anybody want to fill me in with what I can do about this find. Will post pictures as soon as I get home 

image.gif.da50852fe8a8f0ce946ecfe5dfe77035.gif