• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Edith kanaka ole 25 cent
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It prolly is nothing because that's what my luck allows but the lettering has doubling on it at least I think. It may turn out to be a dryer quarter or a mint issue. Can anyone tell me if it is an error please and thank you in advance. TH in Edith and OLE

Photo_2023-12-28 14_22_15_543.JPG

Photo_2023-12-28 14_22_59_682.JPG

Photo_2023-12-28 14_23_08_761.JPG

Appears to be just some worthless strike doubling and perhaps a few contact marks along the sides of a few letters, does not look like any type of hub doubling to me.

First, a Doubled Die is not an error, it is a variety, big difference.   
Hard to say if it is a dryer coin without showing the complete coin.  
What you have is a bit of Machine Doubling, a worthless type of doubling.

The only error I know of on the Edith Kanaka'ole Quarter is the reverse die clash with the very clear impression of EDITH on the reverse of the coin. As such, I am not sure if that was even credited and attributed as an error as I only saw one article regarding that it exists.

Doubling as stated by @Greenstang is not an error. I also don't see any crisp doubling in the photos you provided and only see some very minor mechanical doubling.

It does look like what you are seeing is "worthless" machine doubling since it appears to be step-like having a lower secondary impression, with a lack of any notching at corners.

However, due to the single squeeze hubbing process for modern dies, true doubling for coins like your 2023 quarter can be hard to identify.  The best way to identify this is to examine the coin while turning it with some magnification using the attached infographic and info at the following link as a guide.

https://doubleddie.com/144801.html

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Searching for Doubled Dies and RPMs etc with a coin microscope is not recommended. MOST errors or varieties that are valuable to collectors are EASILY seen with the naked eye or maximum of 5x magnification. IMO you are wasting your time doing this. Microscopes are most often used in numismatics to identify Die Varieties on older worn coins as well as a few other select uses but not usually used to identify DDOs DDRs or RPMs. Once a variety or error has been discovered by eye a microscope may be used to verify or document the error or variety with clear magnified pictures. Hope this helps to explain a little about microscope use in coin collecting. Cheers! 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 12/28/2023 at 9:05 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Searching for Doubled Dies and RPMs etc with a coin microscope is not recommended. MOST errors or varieties that are valuable to collectors are EASILY seen with the naked eye or maximum of 5x magnification. IMO you are wasting your time doing this. Microscopes are most often used in numismatics to identify Die Varieties on older worn coins as well as a few other select uses but not usually used to identify DDOs DDRs or RPMs. Once a variety or error has been discovered by eye a microscope may be used to verify or document the error or variety with clear magnified pictures. Hope this helps to explain a little about microscope use in coin collecting. Cheers! 

“Put ze mikroscope beck!”