• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a U.S. cent with an incomplete date be graded and certified?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hypothetical... assuming a coin clearly exhibits only three of its four digits. Can it be, should it be Authenticated, Graded and Certified?  Yes or No, and why?

Yes, it can. If the coin can be identified to date and mint. Look at the low ball collecting. If the coin has a defining element to the date, such as the Type one standing liberty quarter then it can be identified and graded with no date at all.

As to 'Should it be graded', well, that is up to constant debate

I am sorry to say you are absolutely correct! (I have never been able to get over the fact that I took good photos of a common, low-grade, silver half-dollar, proceeded to obliterate all possible identifying features, including the date, and submitted it with the hopes of obtaining a PO-1 grade. No date; no such luck.)

The coin which is the subject of this Topic is listed presently on MA-SHOPS overseas with the following description:

U.S. 1-cent mint error 200X (date) struck 20% off-center PCGS MS64RD, (cert # 42906327) price: €150; $166.48.

This should answer your question. This coin has no date. [ya, ya, "Why did you get that slabbed?"...the answer is because I did].

I have other cents with errors, one graded as (1999) in slabs. I believe there is some leeway when it comes to mint errors and the date being partially visible or totally not visible as in off center strikes missing the date entirely.

I also know the NGC policy is that on non error coins, the entire date must be readable enough for it to be graded (even if it can be identified by type with no date). As far as I am aware, coins with a non-legible date are returned in a body bag. I thought I read something recently about a no date Buffalo nickel being identified by variety die markers and slabbed, but have not seen an image of said Buffalo nickel.

PXL_20221203_221959428.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

The last 9 is partially visible. If this was 20% off center and the last 9 was not visible at all it would be graded as 199X.

IMG_20180525_141649.jpg

IMG_20180525_141702.jpg

Edited by powermad5000