• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I found this 1987 penny that has a raised circular (cud?) would it be something to have graded and error checked? Is it worth anything?

it also has telltale marks on the reverse,  of columns outside the memorial on an angle. The 2 images were to large so I couldn’t post it 

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

IMG_9469.jpeg

On 12/22/2023 at 11:16 AM, Cldmonet said:

I found this 1987 penny that has a raised circular (cud?) would it be something to have graded and error checked? Is it worth anything?

it also has telltale marks on the reverse,  of columns outside the memorial on an angle. The 2 images were to large so I couldn’t post it 

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks 

A cud is a die break at the edge of the die. I always have trouble telling raised from incuse in images, if it's raised then I venture to guess that it is a foreign substance on the coin, if incuse then probably damage MAYBE struck-through. If you are at some point able to post images of the entire coin obv and rev that would be a great help. Unless better images are provided I'd say it's not worth grading and the value would be one cent. You can try soaking this in acetone and see what happens, if a foreign substance like glue is on the coin acetone should dissolve it.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Clarification

Hello and welcome!

The circular image is damage from a coin roll wrapping machine. You will see many cents from 1980 on and still today with this defect on it and it is common. It is merely damage to the end coin in the roll by the machine.

The circular pattern can be "tight" like this closer to the center of the coin, or more outward towards the rim of the coin and varies.

This condition is nothing more than physical damage post mint production, is not an error, and is definitely not meant to be submitted.

Edited by powermad5000

On 12/22/2023 at 11:49 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

If you are at some point able to post images of the entire coin obv and rev that would be a great help.

I agree.  Based on what I can see, I agree that the circular defect is likely post-mint damage. 

See if your photo software has a function by which you can resize the file size of the full images so that you can post them.

I don't think what caused that is from a coin wrapper as the diameter of the circle is too small, which would actually be smaller than the crimped roll end, and the width of the inscribed mark seems too wide (see attached example wrapper end and damage).

Looks to me like it was struck by something circular, which would just be damage, as if that was a struck through there wouldn't be device details in that area which I seem to see.

Also why use a scope?

Coin Wrapper Damage Penny.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Put. The. Microscope. Away.

or

“Put ze kendle beck!”

Edited by VKurtB

It doesn’t really matter how it happened. If it didn’t happen when the coin was struck, then it is damage.

Also please do NOT use screen shots, they are too pixilated. What we need are clear, closely cropped photos for best results.