• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 misplaced mint mark penny?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

At that time the mintmark was hand punched separately into the working dies, along with the date [from earlier years], so the mark location could vary greatly.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/20/2023 at 10:39 PM, EagleRJO said:

the mintmark was hand punched separately into the working dies, along with the date, so the mark location could vary greatly.

Although mintmarks were hand punched into dies until about 1992, dates were included in the master dies for each year after about 1908. That's why you don't see repunched dates or different date positions after that time. 

The extremely common low end uncirculated 1958-D cent posted isn't worth any premium due to the mint mark position. Its value is about 25 cents.

There were over 800,000,000 of these made. By this year, there could be up to a dozen positions of the mintmark as they were applied by hand to the dies and with the high mintage number, many dies wore out. I don't see this one as having a mintmark that is significantly out of place and to me actually looks "normal". 

Seeing this is on the striking die, there could  have been anywhere between 800-900 thousand produced with the mm in that location   

Punched a little higher than usual but still within tolerance maybe the mint worker was in a hurry to get home.

z mint mark punch worker (3).jpg

On 12/21/2023 at 10:37 AM, Greenstang said:

maybe the mint worker was in a hurry to get home.

Pretty funny stuff to maybe add to wanting to leave early for lunch. (:

Still a really poor mark location to me.