• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello again, and once again, please put each coin into its own single thread. This thread has 4 different coins in it and I can tell you the members here once scrolling down and finding a completely different type that most are not going to respond to this thread. I'll do my best.

The pics here are pretty good so kudos on the nicely cropped pics! (thumbsu

I'll do my best here. The first is a 1963 D Franklin Half. It has some typical wear marks and from what I can tell, the bottom of the bell on the reverse is quite rough so I think it would be overall graded and very limited to low MS (60-62) and worth between $10-15 in the open market.

The second coin is a 1960 Franklin Half Dollar Proof. I can see quite a number of distracting marks in the reflection in the photo that would limit its PF grade and I would put this coin at around a PF63 (non Cameo or Ultra Cameo) and would be worth about $25 in the open market.

The third coin is a 1947 Walking Liberty Half Dollar. It is overall in good shape but has some surface issues/toning developing. There is a slight weakness in the strike on the reverse as the eagles claws are not quite full and bush looks a little weakly struck. I am going to stick to NGC VarietyPlus for the Walkers as any minor varieties are not worth seeking out as they will add no premium to these. There are no attributed varieties for the 1947 so I would say this coin overall would grade around MS 62 or 63 and be worth around $30-40 on the open market.

Your last coin is a 1941 D Walking Liberty Half Dollar. It is overall in decent shape with some weakly struck spots on the obverse and reverse. For the 1941 D, there is a D/D variety but I cannot tell that for sure from the photo that yours has that condition. Sans the RPM, it appears there is a scratch on the obverse. It could be just the lighting or something else but a scratch of that magnitude would limit this coin to an Unc Details grade and severely limit its value. With a details grade, I would say this coin would be worth about $25-30 in the open market.

If you are seeing any kind of "doubling" on any of these, it would be some kind of mechanical doubling. I do not see any evidence of hub doubling.

None of these would be worth the cost of submission, imho.

Please put each coin into its own individual thread. I was still typing a response to your first post when you put the nickel here.

I will respond to the nickel if you move it to its own specific individual post.

Just like MOST people who label coins “DDO/DDR?”, whoever did that is engaging in pure 100% wishcraft. The coin hobby is being deluged by hundreds of thousands of false variety coins. Ironically, there IS a 1960 proof Franklin half DDO, but it’s hard to see. 

Edited by VKurtB

Every coin you want to collect is "worth getting graded"--by you, once you have the necessary knowledge and skills. Without such knowledge, you cannot determine whether the coin would likely have sufficient value to send to a third-party grading service, which is what you really mean. Individual coins with values of less than at least several hundred dollars aren't worth the cost. 

Coins that have little are no wear are very difficult to grade from photos alone. They require in-person examination at different angles and magnifications before one of the now twenty or so numerical grades from AU 55 through MS 70, including "plus" grades, could even be estimated. We can only give you a rough idea of their grades. For example, the 1947 Walking Liberty half dollar, an example of which you show, has retail list values on the NGC Price Guide in uncirculated grades running from $35 in MS 60 to $33,500 for the finest graded MS 68. Walking Liberty Half Dollars (1916-1947) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com) (From what I can see, your coin probably doesn't grade higher than MS 63.) Please refer to the resources in the forum topics linked in my reply to your previous topic. You should obtain a copy of a print grading guide or at least refer to PCGS Photograde online.  

Do the holders of the Walking Liberty half dollars that were "labeled DDO/DDR" identify a known doubled die by variety reference number? If not, the person who so labeled them was ignorant or dishonest regarding variety attribution. NGC will only attribute varieties listed on VarietyPlus, and there are none listed for 1941-D or 1947 Walking Liberty half dollars. Walking Liberty Half Dollars (1916-1947) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

In view of the "waving hand," I shall address the following to all  members.  Before we address any questions related to grading, values and possible optical illusions, front-and-center depiction is a matter of propriety and a reflection on the owner. The point I wish to make goes well beyond an untied shoe lace or one's open fly which ideally ought to be handled discreetly and as unobtrusively as possible.

If you wish to be taken seriously, as a hobbyist, make an effort to display your coins properly: beyond presenting the obverse on top and reverse below, position the coins in a fine-tuned straight, up-and-down, perpendicular alignment much like every coin book, coin catalog or coin listing you have ever set your eyes upon.  The scatter-shot approach including coin-drift and  sideways rotation is distracting. After everything is aligned properly, cropped, and shown under optimal lighting conditions, we can talk about all the other stuff. Presentation, to me, is everything and extends to every facet of life.

It's easy to spend a lot on fees. So many options that add up quick. As a normal, I won't have anything graded that's worth under $300. I sometimes break that rule with coins that will be hard to sell as raw. 

On 12/20/2023 at 8:54 PM, ldhair said:

It's easy to spend a lot on fees. So many options that add up quick. As a normal, I won't have anything graded that's worth under $300. I sometimes break that rule with coins that will be hard to sell as raw. 

🙏 I send in a lot of cards never did coins but I’m feeling like some of them could be worth sending in. Even if I broke even, and/or it was something I held on to I’d be ok with it too. 🤷‍♂️ I’m ok with losing on some if that happens too. I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world !  Thanks for your inputs! 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, Smb740 said:

never did coins but I’m feeling like some of them could be worth sending in.

Your judgment should be based on facts and reason, not feelings.  Encasing these coins in bulky plastic holders won't increase their value and will make them unacceptable to the numerous collectors who still prefer to collect such lower value coins in albums. The lowest grading fee at NGC for any of the coins you have shown would be $23, and, assuming that you already have a paid membership affording you submission privileges, each order would also involve a $10 per order processing fee, minimum $28 return shipping fee and your cost of shipping them to NGC. You have shown nothing so far that appears to be worth such cost.

Wouldn't your money be better spent on books and subscriptions from which you could learn how to evaluate coins yourself or, if you prefer, on coins that have already been certified in higher grades? 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:57 PM, Sandon said:

Your judgment should be based on facts and reason, not feelings.  Encasing these coins in bulky plastic holders won't increase their value and will make them unacceptable to the numerous collectors who still prefer to collect such lower value coins in albums. The lowest grading fee at NGC for any of the coins you have shown would be $23, and, assuming that you already have a paid membership affording you submission privileges, each order would also involve a $10 per order processing fee, minimum $28 return shipping fee and your cost of shipping them to NGC. You have shown nothing so far that appears to be worth such cost.

Wouldn't your money be better spent on books and subscriptions from which you could learn how to evaluate coins yourself or, if you prefer, on coins that have already been certified in higher grades? 

this is why I am asking opinions! I  still got more to show I’m making sure the ones I think wrong are in fact wrong ! Thanks for your time I honestly appreciate everyone’s input ! 🙏