• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Understood that they are not popular but...
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Why so few Innovation dollars graded? I've been looking for the 2022P Vermont, and the 2022P Rhode Island, and they seem to be nonexistant. I would think the flippers would have a market for them, and 66 and 67 grades would be fairly common...

On 12/20/2023 at 12:59 PM, Treeman said:

Why so few Innovation dollars graded? I've been looking for the 2022P Vermont, and the 2022P Rhode Island, and they seem to be nonexistant. I would think the flippers would have a market for them, and 66 and 67 grades would be fairly common...

Since the P an D Innovation dollars are only available direct from the U.S. Mint, in rolls or bags, the availability of graded specimens depends on someone breaking up a roll or bag. There may be few willing to take the risk.

At the risk of being ostracized, ad infinitum, by my fellow members, I am all but constrained to confess that having witnessed and participated in the Golden Age of U.S. coinage, when silver was referred to as such generations ago, these pieces I refer to as strictly miscellaneous, do nothing for me.  Lincoln cents now litter the streets of New York City.  How can I take pride in owning a shiny new Mankiller quarter?  Where are all the ornate bank notes of yore?  An Educational Series note and St. Gaudens dollar are sights to behold. Generic state coins minted without a smidgen of silver and little or no artistic merit? Not so much. Just about every opportunity to put out a distinctive coin for circulation in the past sixty years has been roundly squandered. What has Government offered, as of late, to young numismatists being raised on E-Z passes, OMNY tap-and-go devices (NYC Transit) parking receipts spat out by parking meter kiosks and a profusion of debit and credit cards... silver, gold and platinum?  Innovation dollars?  The one-dollar bill has an average lifetime of use in circulation of only 18 months.  A genuine "innovation" surely would have come up with a dollar coin that enjoys universal acceptance -- and whose widespread circulation would keep the Treasury Department's coffers full. Why are two-dollar bills gathering dust?

The United States Mint's products are mass-produced with little or no quality control, are overpriced, and unloved by all but the strategic speculators.

Rant over; nothing personal.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:56 PM, Henri Charriere said:

At the risk of being ostracized, ad infinitum, by my fellow members, I am all but constrained to confess that having witnessed and participated in the Golden Age of U.S. coinage, when silver was referred to as such generations ago, these pieces I refer to as strictly miscellaneous, do nothing for me.  Lincoln cents now litter the streets of New York City.  How can I take pride in owning a shiny new Mankiller quarter?  Where are all the ornate bank notes of yore?  An Educational Series note and St. Gaudens dollar are sights to behold. Generic state coins minted without a smidgen of silver and little or no artistic merit? Not so much. Just about every opportunity to put out a distinctive coin for circulation in the past sixty years has been roundly squandered. What has Government offered, as of late, to young numismatists being raised on E-Z passes, OMNY tap-and-go devices (NYC Transit) parking receipts spat out by parking meter kiosks and a profusion of debit and credit cards... silver, gold and platinum?  Innovation dollars?  The one-dollar bill has an average lifetime of use in circulation of only 18 months.  A genuine "innovation" surely would have come up with a dollar coin that enjoys universal acceptance -- and whose widespread circulation would keep the Treasury Department's coffers full. Why are two-dollar bills gathering dust?

The United States Mint's products are mass-produced with little or no quality control, are overpriced, and unloved by all but the strategic speculators.

Rant over; nothing personal.

...what he was trying to say was..."no comment..."

On 12/21/2023 at 1:50 PM, zadok said:

...what he was trying to say was..."no comment..."

I appreciate your  running commentary, and I suspect you enjoy it as much as I do.  :whistle:

On 12/20/2023 at 1:59 PM, Treeman said:

Why so few Innovation dollars graded?

Few want to spend large sums for sloppy made and uninteresting coins. There's no "hype" value on which to stick an absurd markup.