• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Board

You are showing two different coins and state “error”.  
Please explain what you are considering an error on each    
coin so we don’t have to go looking for one.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm not seeing any error of any type on these normal quarters. Both are silver coins. All Washington quarters minted from 1932 to 1964 we made of silver. The coins are average circulated and would be worth daily silver spot price only. They have no specific extra numismatic value.

I don't see any errors, but the way you asked is okay because it lets experienced people scrutinize your coins and see if they find anything that's an error. Those would normally jump out at us like neon signs if they were real errors. If/when no one notices any, maybe then it's important to explain what it is you think might be an error. The only time you need to be specific right off the bat is if the error is very small, hard to see in a full photo. Speaking of which, very nice photos. You pretty much did it right, which is more than can be said for most first-timers.

Thanks for the responses everyone! And I am asking because I have “invested”(last year) in some coins to help a good friend of mine out(they are having trouble making ends meet) and they were handed down to him, some coins were labeled as errors (DDO,DDR,FS ect.) so to get a better understanding on what I actually have here I’ve been doing my homework (work in progress lol) if you guys don’t mind I will post some more pics of others and get some opinions, all help greatly appreciated 

That's fine. Members will be happy to help. However, be aware that most of the coins posted as "errors" are either very common mechanical doubling, or damage.

When you post photos, tell us a little more about what we are looking for.

Here are the values of common pre-1965 US silver coins based ONLY on their precious metal content:

Dime $1.76

Quarter $4.41

Half $8.82

Dollar $18.87

Edited by RWB

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

If you want to collect coins--much less "invest" in them--you need to learn about them. The collection of mint errors and die varieties have traditionally been the specialty of certain advanced collectors who had mastered more basic areas such as coin types, dates and mints, major varieties, grading, basic authentication, and how coins are made. (The terms "DDO", "DDR" and "FS" refer to die varieties, not mint errors. See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)) We have an old saying, "buy the book before the coin"!  Nowadays, some of your study can be done online. Here are some forum topics that will refer you to reliable print and online resources on these matters:

Your study should also involve attendance at such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can see a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.    

With regard to the coins you have previously posted, the 1963 Washington quarter is a very common date. It appears to be in About Uncirculated condition and would generally only be worth its silver value, currently about $4.50. The coin appears to have shelf-like doubling on some of the reverse lettering, which is likely strike doubling a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling, which is very common and has no collector value. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com). (Better photos might help.) It is not a match for the one DDR (doubled die reverse) variety shown on NGC VarietyPlus, which lists the die varieties that NGC considers sufficiently significant to attribute. See Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

The 1950-S quarter appears to be in a low to mid-uncirculated grade, in which it would have a retail (dealer sell) value of $10-$15.  There appears to be a depression in the field in front of Washington's eye, which is likely a "strikethrough" of some foreign object or substance on the die or planchet (blank), or perhaps a flaw in the planchet. Both of these phenomena are regarded as minor mint errors for which knowledgeable collectors will pay little or no premium.

The 1991 Lincoln cent features a relatively common mint error called a "broadstrike" that results from the metal ring or "collar" that normally surrounds the planchet during striking not being present or having slipped. The 2023 "Redbook" lists a copper coated zinc cent broadstrike having a retail value of $8.

Edited by Sandon
added missing word

Agree that the 1991cent looks like a Broadstrike (struck out of collar).   
If you were to place it over another cent, you would notice that the diameter is larger.

Also please start a new post for each inquiry, it gets confusing with more than one topic on a thread.

Hello and welcome!

The Lincoln cent is an error for a broadstrike. I am not seeing any errors on the quarters unless there is something I am missing.

In the future, if you could crop as much as possible of the background out of the photo so the frame is basically just the coin will help in getting good opinions on your posted coins. Also, please try to make a separate thread for each individual coin as multiple coins in the same thread can get confusing, but worse that you might get less opinions as people scroll and suddenly the subject changes, they may just exit the thread. We are all just volunteers here who love coins and like to help people.