• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS (2024)
1 1

31 posts in this topic

By Law, enforced by the two Moderators peering over each of my shoulders with a direct open line to Dena, I must keep the thrust of this voluntary inquiry on numismatics.  Accordingly, what are your hopes, goals and dreams?  Is there a hole in an album or set you've been trying to fill?  Is there an upgrade you just cannot seem to get your hands on?  Are you prepared to make an extravagant offer for a coin you feel no owner in his right mind would be likely to refuse? (Hoping a Brinks armored car hits a bump i/f/o you on an Interstate disgorging its contents all over the road does not count!)  In short, what is/are your top coin collecting goal(s) for the coming year?  

On 12/19/2023 at 5:37 AM, Henri Charriere said:

By Law, enforced by the two Moderators peering over each of my shoulders with a direct open line to Dena, I must keep the thrust of this voluntary inquiry on numismatics.  Accordingly, what are your hopes, goals and dreams?  Is there a hole in an album or set you've been trying to fill?  Is there an upgrade you just cannot seem to get your hands on?  Are you prepared to make an extravagant offer for a coin you feel no owner in his right mind would be likely to refuse? (Hoping a Brinks armored car hits a bump i/f/o you on an Interstate disgorging its contents all over the road does not count!)  In short, what is/are your top coin collecting goal(s) for the coming year?  

...still hallucinating i see...u could have simply asked..."what is ur new years coin wish?"....

On 12/19/2023 at 10:03 AM, zadok said:

...still hallucinating i see...u could have simply asked..."what is ur new years coin wish?"

Your wish, sire, is my command:  "WHAT IS UR NEW YEARS COIN WISH?"

z:  Pallets, more pallets.

h:  But, but...

Dena:  I will allow it.

As always my collecting goals are tied to my disposable income so it depends on my work situation as always, but the plan this year is to replace the two key date Peace dollars with MS specimens, and also begin the pursuit of uncirculated CC trade dollars. I doubt funds will allow after that to also obtain one very nice large cent, but if blessed in the coming year, that will also be added. I do not expect to have many additions to the Post your most recent acquisition US thread.

As for numismatic goals, spend a little more time than I did this year learning more. More research if you will.

Probably in the dead of winter, hopefully with snow falling outside, I intend to look at my scant gold coin collection… in person.

Takes hours to gain access to the coins, and while I'm at it maybe I'll take new photos of a few of them using the knowledge I gained last year when I took photos of my newly edge-tapped 1839 $2.5 Classic Head, which impressed even me.

Other than that, maybe I'll try to improve my Registry Comments on a few of the coins.  Make them less laborious, but certainly not take the route of abbreviation seen by cell phone jockeys, who make you wonder what level of education they've attained in life.

2024 Resolution: To try, and it won’t be easy, to exceed my 2023 numismatic travel schedule. I did not attend January F.U.N. last year, and I am going this year, so it’ll be a good start. Then, at the end of January to beginning of February, it’s Berlin, with ANA Colorado Springs in March. Then Early American Coppers in Indy in May. (Plus Indy 500 qualifying.) June takes me back to Colorado Springs for Summer Seminar. The big subtraction in no ANA Rosemont for me in August. Not this year, and maybe not ever again at Rosemont. I just can’t take it any more. After a 10 hour drive north from Alabama, to need to deal with Chicago traffic? No way I’m ever doing that again. I won’t fly it again because O’Hare Airport is my private idea of hell on earth. I now know that what made Chicago palatable at all was Amtrak, and there is no reasonable service out of my region to Chicago. Lancaster/Harrisburg, PA was a dream compared to ‘Bama. Fall will be the key. Will Nashville happen again? Will I be lured to South Carolina? What about Baltimore, 1,2,3?

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/19/2023 at 3:29 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Probably in the dead of winter, hopefully with snow falling outside, I intend to look at my scant gold coin collection… in person.

Takes hours to gain access to the coins,....

If you have made prior arrangements with family, a close associate or trusted friend of irreproachable virtue, complete with detailed directions to the site, I am going to take the liberty of referring to this as the "PzlBox Hoard."  With your recommendation, I shall play the part of the old man dancing a little jig as performed in that classic epic, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. If you fail to make the necessary arrangements I shall endeavor to make your true crime epic as interesting as possible. Boy Scout Motto:  Be Prepared.  :whistle:

On 12/19/2023 at 9:59 PM, VKurtB said:

2024 Resolution: To try, and it won’t be easy, to exceed my 2023 numismatic travel schedule....

Lofty (pardon the pun) and laudable goal, but do yourself and your family (us) a big favor and have yourself cleared for take-off by your doctors.  (thumbsu

On 12/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, ldhair said:

My goal is to sell much of my collection. I hope to replace quantity with quality as much as possible. 

If I am smart, I will make that decision myself within the next ninety-nine days.  

On 12/19/2023 at 10:08 PM, ldhair said:

My goal is to sell much of my collection. I hope to replace quantity with quality as much as possible. 

If we meet at F.U.N., let me know what types of material you’re looking to lighten up on. I may be interested. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:02 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Lofty (pardon the pun) and laudable goal, but do yourself and your family (us) a big favor and have yourself cleared for take-off by your doctors.  (thumbsu

The physical therapists have me more fit than I’ve felt in years. More muscle tone, better balance. My feet still hurt though. 

Edited by VKurtB

Walter Huston.  Yup, that's the clip!  Thanks

Edit:  Also directed by his son, John H.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add edit.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:05 AM, Zebo said:

It’s difficult digging into frozen ground. I only look at mine during the summer months. :roflmao:

No, I think it involves wolf bane, garlic, silver bullets, and wooden stakes.

On 12/19/2023 at 8:59 PM, VKurtB said:

to need to deal with Chicago traffic? No way I’m ever doing that again.

I work at places in and around the Chicago metro area. Mornings are bad, afternoon is worse. My typical commutes home range anywhere from 1 to 3.5 hours PER DAY. If you include the morning trip, I can spend anywhere from 2 to 5 hours per day of windshield time. Multiply that by 5 days a week. Explains why I am very cranky by Friday.

Oh, and don't forget to throw in the occasional expressway accident to add one to two more hours to any of either the morning or evening commutes. Once I retire, I plan to move well into the country in an area where the most populous town has a headcount of no more than 10,000 and the town I live in has a headcount of no more than 1,000. Trrrrraaaaaffffiiiiccccccccc...it is slowly killing me.

Edited by powermad5000

On 12/21/2023 at 10:39 PM, powermad5000 said:

....Once I retire, I plan to move well into the country in an area where the most populous town has a headcount of no more than 10,000 and the town I live in has a headcount of no more than 1,000. Trrrrraaaaaffffiiiiccccccccc...it is slowly killing me.

According to the latest figures, 123,582 people call my neighborhood home.  Guideline rules prohibit me from breaking down the demographics, but the number of violent crimes committed here are 264% greater than the national average. I am sorry about your long commute but I can confidently state living in East Harlem has made me a better person.  🤣

On 12/19/2023 at 9:59 PM, VKurtB said:

2024 Resolution: To try, and it won’t be easy, to exceed my 2023 numismatic travel schedule. I did not attend January F.U.N. last year, and I am going this year,....

🐓The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...  We're not even a week into the New Year and already experiencing operating difficulties...

NOT exceeding last year's ambitious traveling itinerary probably stands you in good stead.  Karma has intervened and, depending on your religious convictions, dealt you a most welcome respite.  None of us are getting any younger.

I have been criticized for breaking my Resolution, but the more astute amongst us have observed I never made any. 🤣 Resignation? Moi? Not at all. I was simply carrying "The Message to Garcia" (1915). I am merely a mouthpiece with a prognostication: I predict present-day H.C., if permitted to do so, shall make his re-re-debut with a new moniker in printemps. Incidentally, the much heralded F10F GR project is not feasible. The series is 75% smaller but infinitely more difficult to assemble in respectable grades.  :facepalm:

On 1/5/2024 at 9:21 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...  We're not even a week into the New Year and already experiencing operating difficulties...

NOT exceeding last year's ambitious traveling itinerary probably stands you in good stead.  Karma has intervened and, depending on your religious convictions, dealt you a most welcome respite.  None of us are getting any younger.

I have been criticized for breaking my Resolution, but the more astute amongst us have observed I never made any. 🤣 Resignation? Moi? Not at all. I was simply carrying "The Message to Garcia" (1915). I am merely a mouthpiece with a prognostication: I predict present-day H.C., if permitted to do so, shall make his re-re-debut with a new moniker in printemps. Incidentally, the much heralded F10F GR project is not feasible. The series is 75% smaller but infinitely more difficult to assemble in respectable grades.  :facepalm:

Berlin is my new target for the beginning of the year.

My goal is to finish a couple sets and maybe start another one or two. Espically the quarter set. Also planning on upgrading a few that I rushed into buying when I first started. I got some ugly toners I want to replace. 

I want to get back to FUN 2025. (thumbsu

I'd like to add some coins and some currency notes. (thumbsu

I'd LOVE to get an MCMVII HR, but that is probably a few years off.  I'll settle for adding a top-notch 1908 No Motto Wells Fargo in MS-66 (MAYBE a 67). (thumbsu

My goal is to make it to FUN in 2025.  I would also like to finish/upgrade my basic circulation Franklin Half Dollar set and start something new.  Try and learn something every day.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, ldhair said:

I've thought that could be an issue for many collectors who've been at it for decades.  My friend has 3 closets full of coins !!

I guess that's the good thing about mostly focusing on bullion, Morgans, and Saints:  I can't buy too many of them !! xD

On 1/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I've thought that could be an issue for many collectors who've been at it for decades.  My friend has 3 closets full of coins !!

I guess that's the good thing about mostly focusing on bullion, Morgans, and Saints:  I can't buy too many of them !! xD

Only 3 closets, huh? Piker. Mine is bigger and fills most of a room. 

On 1/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Only 3 closets, huh? Piker. Mine is bigger and fills most of a room. 

...piker, huh?...guess ill get my pilgrim's staff n mosey along better than using a mopstick though....

At this point in my set.... 1-2 Half cents will make my year and exhaust the budget. The coins left are incredibly tough to find, more tough to find how I want them, and nearly impossible to find within my threshold of affordability.  

....but with much legwork, I think I can make those stars align once or twice.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Piker....

By dictionary definition, I have reason to believe I may be a piker.  And all the while I thought this was a reference to people who fish pike.  🤣

This just in.  My pcp I've met only once, called to say my cholesterol level was high: 167. I attribute the elevation to indulging in seasonal treats like egg nog, eggs, and a whole slew of sweet pastries. So... it's back to basics for me. Now there's an unsolicited resolution that was tailor-made for me!  I want this obscene figure reduced to under 100 by the time I see my cardiologist in April for my semi-annual check-up. On the numismatic side, I have to resolve to limit my internet searches for Roosters to 23 hours a day.  🤣

On 1/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's a big issue for me. I let it go for too many years. As I got started selling, I learned just how much time it was going to take. With each coin you have to decide the best way to sell it. That involves many things. TPGs, variety attribution, CAC, conservation, auction to use, current value, shipping and much thought on what's best for each coin.