• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 P Silver Eagle
1 1

12 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Jumbo Coin, I am terribly sorry, I am a little confused by your initial inquiry. Neither of these coins have the mint mark notated on the label, so our graders did not specify this information purposely. Unfortunately, because it was not specified, I'm afraid I may be unable to answer your inquiry. Please kindly let me know if I am misunderstanding your question.

Thank you!

On 12/20/2023 at 9:14 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Hello @Jumbo Coin, I am terribly sorry, I am a little confused by your initial inquiry. Neither of these coins have the mint mark notated on the label, so our graders did not specify this information purposely. Unfortunately, because it was not specified, I'm afraid I may be unable to answer your inquiry. Please kindly let me know if I am misunderstanding your question.

Thank you!

On 12/18/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jumbo Coin said:

3984887-475 and 3982200-342

jim sears

It seems that NGC has graded and marked some of the 2015 as minted at Philadelphia, and others at West Point.

Since mine have neither designation, how do I know where it came from. It evidently has a significant value difference.

See attached Photo.

2015Eagle(p).JPG

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Bullion version American Silver Eagles, which have no mint mark, may have been made at different mints in some years but are not distinguishable from each other. Grading services have certified pieces as having been coined at specific mints based solely upon the coins having been submitted in sealed mint boxes that indicate the mint of manufacture. Those who--foolishly in my opinion--pay premiums for such pieces are relying upon the grading service's certification of the coin's origin.  They are collecting the little paper tag in the grading service holder, not the coin itself.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:13 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Bullion version American Silver Eagles, which have no mint mark, may have been made at different mints in some years but are not distinguishable from each other. Grading services have certified pieces as having been coined at specific mints based solely upon the coins having been submitted in sealed mint boxes that indicate the mint of manufacture. Those who--foolishly in my opinion--pay premiums for such pieces are relying upon the grading service's certification of the coin's origin.  They are collecting the little paper tag in the grading service holder, not the coin itself.

All I was trying to find out was if one of my coins happen to have come from one of those boxes that indicate it was Philadelphia. Collectors are evidently paying a premium for such coins, regardless of their foolishness.

Actually, the NGC Price Guide lists the 2015 silver eagle with a label proclaiming it to have been struck in Philadelphia at $650 in MS 69 and $1,500 in MS 70, still ridiculous prices to pay for that label and a coin that is indistinguishable from any of the 47 million pieces struck.  Silver Eagles (1986-Date) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). An advertiser on some website such as eBay or Etsy can ask for any price. It doesn't mean that anyone was actually misinformed enough to pay it.

On 12/21/2023 at 12:27 PM, Sandon said:

Actually, the NGC Price Guide lists the 2015 silver eagle with a label proclaiming it to have been struck in Philadelphia at $650 in MS 69 and $1,500 in MS 70, still ridiculous prices to pay for that label and a coin that is indistinguishable from any of the 47 million pieces struck.  Silver Eagles (1986-Date) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). An advertiser on some website such as eBay or Etsy can ask for any price. It doesn't mean that anyone was actually misinformed enough to pay it.