• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible NGC label error on Doubled Die coin?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I’m doing research into the several known South African Doubled die variety coins and have come across this 1968 English inscription 1 cent coin. It was graded MS64 RD Doubled Die Obverse by NGC, however on closer inspection the coin looks more like a mechanical doubling fault than a true double die, but this is just my opinion. Please see the photos attached. This is the only example listed in the NGC census. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Kind regards

NGC2126138-009_OBV.thumb.jpg.99d63361a70fe6de6ee4b2b693d3d075.jpg2126138-009.thumb.jpeg.ef882b526ef91d751d22f85827622e8b.jpeg

This reminded me of the same kind of condition found on the 1972 Lincoln Cent FS-107. There is evidence of doubling but it looks more like mechanical doubling. It seems on the OP's coin that there was just the slightest shift in the either the die or the hub just enough to be visible. This also reminds me of some of the new nickel DDO's and DDR's that are getting attributed.

It does appear that there is some doubling evident at the bottom of the shirt at the back of the neck, no? Or is that part of the design?

I would normally toss this aside as MD but the visible doubling in 'SOUTH AFRICA" is on the left side but the doubling in "1968" is on the right and everything looks to "sharp" to be DDD. It could be a true DD but it's very minor if it is. 

I see this coin is for sale, were you looking to purchase it?

If this were a product of the US mint I would say MD 100%.    However I am not at all familiar with the minting process in South Africa, so it's quite possible that could be a true DD depending on the processes and equipment used in South Africa.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, powermad5000 said:

It does appear that there is some doubling evident at the bottom of the shirt at the back of the neck, no? Or is that part of the design?

There is definitely some doubling by the shirt, but it all looks too much like MD for me. It certainly is not part of the design.  

On 12/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I would normally toss this aside as MD but the visible doubling in 'SOUTH AFRICA" is on the left side but the doubling in "1968" is on the right and everything looks to "sharp" to be DDD. It could be a true DD but it's very minor if it is. 

I see this coin is for sale, were you looking to purchase it?

I would also normally think it was nothing more than a nice MD coin, but NGC slabbed it as a DD, so I'm not sure. I known NGC has made mistakes in the past, but they are uncommon. 

I did see it on eBay, but the price tag (in my opinion) is too much for this coin, so I'm not planning to buy it.

I think that @Coinbuf is on to something here. I will admit I am stuck in the US Mint processes and procedures, but it could be a DD based upon how coins are minted in South Africa. I would not even know if the press is vertical or horizontal. It could even be possible they purchased their presses from China or some other country.

On 12/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, ZAR details said:

I did see it on eBay, but the price tag (in my opinion) is too much for this coin, so I'm not planning to buy it.

You know it has a MAC sticker on it now, don't you. :whistle:

Smart move to pass this up, someone is looking for a sucker to take the bait. (thumbsu