• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 p penny
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm David and by far no professional.  I've been collecting penny's now for I guess two years. Earlier today I was going through a roll of penny's and I came across this 1984 penny.  Immediately I looked at Lincoln's ear but then something else caught my eye. I thought maybe this is a die clash mule coin because the columns are showing on the obverse side. Id really appreciate any help you guys and gals could give me. 

Screenshot_20231214-215123_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20231214-214934_Photos.jpg

Edited by David Broussard
Typo

Welcome to the forum, die clashes are not mules, two very different things.   Your Lincoln cent shows a very nice and dramatic clash with the reverse columns showing on the obverse.

One other thing I've found.  Usually when I open a roll of penny's I pass a magnet over them. Well one day I did so and one stuck. First thing I thought, a 1944 steel cent. Well regretfully it was a 1943. Just my luck.  I've read various appraisals on this coin and to be honest,  I don't know what to think. Here is a pic. I've done some research about coin appraisals or certifications close to me and there are none. So when I find something I can't have anyone look at them.

IMG_20230527_144218.jpg

IMG_20230527_144226.jpg

IMG_20230527_151839.jpg

IMG_20230527_151913.jpg

IMG_20230527_151932.jpg

Edited by David Broussard

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Clash marks as on your 1984 Lincoln cent result from the dies coming together without a planchet (blank) between them. Parts of the design from each die transfer to the other and appear on subsequent coins struck from the die pair. They are interesting but relatively common. (A "mule" is a very rare type of mint error where the obverse of one type of coin is paired with the reverse of another. You won't find any.)

You should post questions about different coins as separate topics. Circulated 1943 zinc coated steel cents like those you found are very common and worth about 25 cents each.  

If you want to collect U.S. coins, you should learn how to identify, grade and otherwise evaluate them yourself. These topics provide information about print and online resources that should help you do so:

It is also helpful to attend coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Hopefully, you can find some in your area.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Your 1984 cent does have a noticeable die clash. Showing on the obverse. You did not include a picture of the reverse of the coin but there should be at least part of an outline of Lincoln's head and/or bust on the reverse. Another member just posted a similar clashed cent on this forum in the last week. 

In the future, please post clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin in question and try to make separate threads for each coin you have a question about. Posting several coins in the same thread can cause confusion and also limit the number of responses you will get.

As for your steel cents, they have differing levels of surface issues from heavy dirt to environmental damage and would not be specimens sought by collectors.