• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 D Lincoln cent
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Greeting ladies and gentlemen. I'm still having a hard time telling the difference between machine doubling and real doubling. I just can't grasp certain things cuz of a head injury while serving in the Marine corps. But as long as I keep plugging along something's bound to smack me in the head and say oh yeah. Okay now that that's out of the way LOL is the 1971 d doubled in the date and the mint mark I matched it up I think with the one in variety Vista I think I took a screenshot of it I'll post that too looking for expert opinions thank you very much Merry Christmas. Do I have to hit insert to put the picture in the post sorry about the extra picsIMG_20231129_184426603.thumb.jpg.e75617c28d098fa298b923edc202c9ae.jpgIMG_20231129_184426603.thumb.jpg.e75617c28d098fa298b923edc202c9ae.jpgIMG_20231129_183339852.jpg.f8dad7414fe91bb4be6cc6de79c5162a.jpgIMG_20231129_183040269.thumb.jpg.36310955c60ad93537fe920fe0d33d9d.jpgScreenshot_20231210-042336.thumb.png.61759dd3e3b88e4840af98afb6e33768.pngIMG_20231129_184426603.thumb.jpg.e75617c28d098fa298b923edc202c9ae.jpg

Does not look like a match from your photos, it appears that your coin took a hit on the lower portion of the mintmark.   That pushed some metal up, but I do not see any signs at the top of the mint mark of an underlying mint mark to match the one from VV.

I agree with Coinbuf the mint mark has the "look" of an RPM only on the bottom of the D due to a hit. There are no other characteristics on the coin that would suggest it is an RPM. Goodluck with the hunt. This kind of thing can fool many people don't feel bad. Now you know. Also... most Doubled Die coins or RPM coins that are desired by serious collectors are pretty obvious doubling that is easily recognized without a microscope. If you need to see the doubling with a microscope it's probably machine doubling and not the kind of doubling worth collecting. There are great resources online for learning about coin errors and the mint processes that create them. Once you know how errors or varieties of coins happen or don't happen you'll know what you need to know to find them. Cheers!

Hello and welcome!

It is good to see you have looked at one of the available resources to research the coin you are looking at. Kudos!

If you furthered your reading on the RPM-001 for the 1971 D, there are markers for die scratches above the date on the obverse which are not on the coin you posted. Remember when looking in Variety Vista to look over the section for the die markers associated with the variety to see if they match your coin. Pretty much all of the attributed varieties have been well researched by those that attributed them and one way they do this is to find the die markers on the obverse and reverse matching all the coins in the variety. Also keep in mind they are listed in stages, as die scratches in the mid stage could be also accompanied by a die crack in the late stages as an example.

I was unable to match RPM-001 or any of the remaining varieties to your posted cent. Being your cent has several good hits across the obverse, I would also have to agree that the mintmark took a hit which removed some of the metal from it. People tend to think of coins as these hard, tough objects, but in reality they are metal that can be subject to change and damage by external force.

Keep looking, though. The fun of the hobby is in the search!