• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheat penny
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

The numerous nicks on your 1948-S Lincoln cent are of the sort often seen on circulated coins like this that have been ground against rough objects or surfaces. 

Collecting mint errors requires knowledge of how coins are made and what the errors look like. Significant mint errors are very rarely found in circulation. See the following for some guidance.

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Basic Resources & Glossary - Newbie Coin Collecting Questions - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards

The website error-ref.com is a fairly comprehensive guide to the known types of mint errors.

I see some hits in the area of the 8 that pushed up some of the metal to cause that effect. It is just post mint damaged on a circulated cent.

I felt a need to edit this post as to the use of the mag. We have many people on here who post a coin under mag, and it unfortunately leads them down a rabbit hole of finding either very insignificant things on the surfaces of coins, or as in this case certain effects which can be easily explained by not using mag. Typically, collectors only use mag when attempting to look for markers for certain varieties or to confirm cases of doubling.

I am only mentioning this so you do not use it and go down that rabbit hole.

Edited by powermad5000