• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This or that . 2 peace dollars
1 1

6 posts in this topic

If you look at the coins carefully, they both have the same surface luster and slight circulation wear. The 1934 D is the scarcer coin, but it has widespread frenzied surface marks of which appx. 8 are detracting marks. The 1935 is a cleaner fields example although this coin as well has appx. 8 detracting marks in a more localized area of the field.  I if ever considering these 2 coins would choose the cleaner fields 1935 coin and look for a nicer example of the 1934 D. Cheers good luck! 

Edited by Mike Meenderink
spelling

Would not make a decision based on one side, I'll check out both sides of the coins tomorrow on NGC, if they have pics of both on their verify. Availability/scarcity is a factor, as previously mentioned, but buy what you like. 

I am wondering why you would not consider the reverses as well. I buy all my coins raw for the most part (99% of the time) and submit them for grading. To me, the reverse is just as important as the obverse. Just my opinion though.

I really can't answer your question. I would say buy what you like. If you are going to purchase a coin, you need to be happy with it. Everything from eye appeal to distracting marks to grade level. I would not buy a coin unless I like to look at it. If you purchase a coin just based upon a date or mintage number, if every time you look at the coin, it bothers you for some reason (whatever the reason might be), you will end up not liking that it is in your collection and eventually would probably end up selling it. Green bean aside, buy the one you like.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:54 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

NGC, if they have pics of both on their verify

NGC has very good images for both coins from the links above.  I answered the op's question as requested, but looking at both sides didn't change that anyway or I would have just made a note of that along with my comment on rarity/value

1934-D Peace Dollar.jpg

1935 (P) Peace Dollar.jpg