• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Came across this coin in an antique shop
1 1

13 posts in this topic

This is unquestionably fake.  All of the 1,758 1794 Flowing Hair dollars reportedly minted were struck from a single die pair. Nearly all are more weakly struck on the left side than the right, and all of the design details match exactly.  Compare such details as the date numerals, star size and style, Liberty's hair and face, and the positions of the letters in relation to Liberty's head and the eagle with these photos of a genuine piece from the NGC Coin Explorer:

image.thumb.png.16d61511aeee22d4ab381f02d867f774.png

image.thumb.png.e1a1eaba8d3eb6c20cc0045f813a91f4.png

The edge lettering style is also no match to that on a 1794-1803 Flowing Hair or Draped Bust dollar, such as the following from an 1800 Draped Bust:

1800dollaredge1.thumb.jpg.a6f3be0562271b546247fbb675457601.jpg

1800dollaredge2.thumb.jpg.5e9fe01b4a703f442fc06ea14b3ede35.jpg

On 12/11/2023 at 5:02 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Could it be real? ... non magnetic ... 26.55 g ... edge lettered 

You measured 26.55g and a 39.2mm diameter for a 1794 Flowing hair dollar with a mint spec of 26.96g and 39.5mm diameter, so at least the weight is likely out of spec with a 0.097g tolerance like similar sized dollars and half dollars of the period.  And did you compare that to certified genuine examples, like the one Sandon provided, which just doesn't match up.  You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true.

1794 $1 Compare Obv.jpg

1794 $1 Compare Rev.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Agreed fake...First of all the color of the coin is all wrong. The details are off the edge lettering is off etc etc... but the biggest clue is the reverse (as struck) "wear" is WAAAAY to "worn" compared to the front of the coin. The "wear" if genuine would likely be about the same both sides.. Thats a big red flag to begin with.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Didn't take me long at quick glance to head right into the counterfeit camp. Two things punched me in the face right away. One, the hair is too "simplistic" of a design, and second the date numerals just looked way off to me.

Make it feel at home. Eat Chinese food with it lying on the table next to your plate. There are literally DOZENS of Etsy sellers selling counterfeit 1794 dollars. Do a Google search on “Etsy 1794 dollar”. Voila!

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, VKurtB said:

Make it feel at home. Eat Chinese food with it lying on the table next to your plate. There are literally DOZENS of Etsy sellers selling counterfeit 1794 dollars. Do a Google search on “Etsy 1794 dollar”. Voila!

I did but it left a tinny taste in my mouth!

On 12/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, RWB said:

RE: "Came across this coin in an antique shop"

Keep going....please.

:)

Not a great endorsement for the skills or ethics (take your pick) of an antique shop owner. This field is not known for a lack of charlatans. My wife likes “antique malls”, which include 100 or so dealers under one roof. One about 40 miles away has about 10-12 “coin dealers”. If knowledge or fair pricing were dynamite, together they couldn’t blow their noses.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/12/2023 at 5:59 AM, Greenstang said:

All you have to do is look at the bottom ribbon on the reverse, it is a different style.

What jumped out at me was the hair and stars on the obverse as well as the wreath above the eagles head, but yea that ribbon is another dead give away when I got to that.

Edited by EagleRJO