• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The British Are … HERE!

13 posts in this topic

On 12/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

The British 2023 definitive coin set is here! Flora and fauna of Britain on one side and “Chucky the Turd” on the other. 

Look better than the CGI renderings in the other post. The animals are a little too cartoonish looking for me to really like the designs but much better than I was led to believe. 

What a motley crew!  Where is the inspiration and imagination?  Not a denticle in sight!  This is what's become of the Empire the sun never set on?  Squirrels and spiders?  Has the "tuppence" come to this?  Is there a story behind the selection of these fauna and flora?  Definitive? How so? Where is the distinctive definition, or has the art of the engraver gone the way of the stone cutter?

Now, what the U.S. can do to one-up these toy coins is put a dog on one of its coins.  But not just any dog.  I propose "Balto" the Siberian husky who led a dog sled team 55 miles thru the Alaska wasteland to deliver a life-saving vaccine for diptheria to the citizens of Nome in 1925.  Maybe give the bison a breather for just a year, 2025, to honor a real-life celebrity that inspired New Yorkers to erect a bronze starue in its honor in Central Park.

Once you've held a sculptured classic in your hand, you'll never go back. That's why those distinguished emissions, and not this pedestrian play money for the masses, will always be in demand.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:02 PM, Henri Charriere said:

What a motley crew!  Where is the inspiration and imagination?  Not a denticle in sight!  This is what's become of the Empire the sun never set on?  Squirrels and spiders?  Has the "tuppence" come to this?  Is there a story behind the selection of these fauna and flora?  Definitive? How so? Where is the distinctive definition, or has the art of the engraver gone the way of the stone cutter?

Now, what the U.S. can do to one-up these toy coins is put a dog on one of its coins.  But not just any dog.  I propose "Balto" the Siberian husky who led a dog sled team 55 miles thru the Alaska wasteland to deliver a life-saving vaccine for diptheria to the citizens of Nome in 1925.  Maybe give the bison a breather for just a year, 2025, to honor a real-life celebrity that inspired New Yorkers to erect a bronze starue in its honor in Central Park.

Once you've held a sculptured classic in your hand, you'll never go back. That's why those distinguished emissions, and not this pedestrian play money for the masses, will always be in demand.

Worry not. It will probably change again when young William ascends the throne.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, Henri Charriere said:

...if the animal of choice were to be a canine, at least try to use the true hero of the 1925 Nome rescue mission...TOGO who lead the dog sled teams for 261 miles of the trek n not just the last less severe terrain of 55 miles...leave it up to New York to miss the whole essence of the drama....

On 12/11/2023 at 4:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Worry not. It will probably change again when young William ascends the throne.

...im seriously doubting there will be a throne to ascend, perhaps one of those oval ones with a handle....

On 12/11/2023 at 6:54 PM, zadok said:

...im seriously doubting there will be a throne to ascend, perhaps one of those oval ones with a handle....

Or Charles could die of stupidity inside of a year. Don’t dismiss the British monarchy. They’ve been around longer than anyone had the right to assume. Cromwell was a bad experience. 

On 12/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, zadok said:

...if the animal of choice were to be a canine, at least try to use the true hero of the 1925 Nome rescue mission...TOGO who lead the dog sled teams for 261 miles of the trek n not just the last less severe terrain of 55 miles...leave it up to New York to miss the whole essence of the drama....

I am aware of the discrepancy (and controversy involving the two relay sled teams fueled in large part by lore compounded by artistic license as promoted by the revisionist history as presented in the Disney film, but am not prepared to challenge your eyewitness account.   🤣

On 12/11/2023 at 10:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am aware of the discrepancy (and controversy involving the two relay sled teams fueled in large part by lore compounded by artistic license as promoted by the revisionist history as presented in the Disney film, but am not prepared to challenge your eyewitness account.   🤣

...yep 261 miles of looking at dog butts carries its own credibility...me thinks u have ur revisionism backwards however, but that comes from living in a delusional environ....

On 12/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, zadok said:

...yep 261 miles of looking at dog butts carries its own credibility...me thinks u have ur revisionism backwards however, but that comes from living in a delusional environ....

“If you ain’t the lead dog, the view never changes.”

I am afraid I do not have the time and am not well enough right now to investigate this matter further.

There were two sled teams and fairly or unfairly, Balto made it across the finish line first.  Togo's team was running late to the meet-up point, and the gentleman mushing Balto's relay had a judgment call to make.  He chose to press on. 

History is full of little-known heroes that didn't make it into the headlines. Columbus is generally given the credit for "discovering" an already inhabited land. One fact either overlooked or forgotten is it was his navigator who insured the success of the mission.

There were some forty dogs involved in delivering the life-saving antidote to Nome.  It was a team effort. All did their part.  Today it seems everybody is a Hero for simply doing their job.  In the annals of history, I believe Ernest Shackleton rises above all the rest for stamina, endurance and perseverance against all odds. I have never read a story quite like his.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:13 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I am afraid I do not have the time and am not well enough right now to investigate this matter further.

There were two sled teams and fairly or unfairly, Balto made it across the finish line first.  Togo's team was running late to the meet-up point, and the gentleman mushing Balto's relay had a judgment call to make.  He chose to press on. 

History is full of little-known heroes that didn't make it into the headlines. Columbus is generally given the credit for "discovering" an already inhabited land. One fact either overlooked or forgotten is it was his navigator who insured the success of the mission.

There were some forty dogs involved in delivering the life-saving antidote to Nome.  It was a team effort. All did their part.  Today it seems everybody is a Hero for simply doing their job.  In the annals of history, I believe Ernest Shackleton rises above all the rest for stamina, endurance and perseverance against all odds. I have never read a story quite like his.

...hmmmm, so balto left before togo gave him the serum...sounds like balto dropped the baton n every one died....