• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cornucopia of Questions unrelated to each other. . . 3
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Finally, a coin that can generate proper debate amongst the horde.  So what caused the impact to the REV of this pitiful dime?  The impact seems too focused on the lower right quadrant to be PMD.  Alas my expertise is, well, non-existent when it comes to potential mint-muckery, so I leave it in your capable hands. 

image.thumb.png.591ea7d538b77584b73b985312e2f630.png

If you would prefer a better pic of the reverse. . . here ya go:

1970d-R.jpg

I don't think the coin was hit. A hit to remove that much detail would have most likely bent the coin or at least transferred damage to the obverse.

While many go right to grease filled dies when there are design elements missing, this to me is a partial grease filled reverse die as I can see some of the lettering and design still very faintly, but it is there as part of the strike. I would say the grease was beginning to wear off to see faint lettering. I also agree the condition is a little exacerbated by modest wear.