• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

beautiful off center 1986 penny on the rim worth more than a couple of bucks ??
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2023 at 7:19 PM, jimbean802 said:

still learning from ebay youtube and the internet and you guys thankyou and could you look at my post below this one i posted some more 82d

My suggestion is stick to your day job, there is nothing in your photo to suggest that the coin you have posted is off center at all.  doh!     If this coin and your 82-D are a display of the knowledge you have learned from you tube you have learned nothing but misinformation.   I am not saying this to be mean or hurt your feelings, that is just the cold hard truth.

Edited by Coinbuf

Ebenezer and YT are very fraught ways to learn, where you take one step forward and five steps back.

What you need to realize is that to everyone here--that is credible, anyway--"I saw it on Ebay/Youtube" is code for "I'm completely deluded and you will have to break down everything I think I know in order to help me." Not saying that to be hurtful, just being completely frank. F-bomb Ebay and YT. Compared to several books I could recommend, they are great wastes of time. So if you do want to learn might as well go ahead and express everything you believe that you learned there, so we can tell you what's wrong with it and get you started learning how to really collect coins.

Lesson one: modern pennies are mostly not worth much and that is especially true when they've already begun to corrode (see those little teal spots). Lesson two: nearly everything you have learned is a Rare Mint Error is of minimal interest to most serious collectors.

Your 1986 Lincoln cent is not an off-center strike.  It was struck from a slightly misaligned obverse die that wasn't perpendicular to the planchet. Such coins are quite common and are considered to be a quality control issue rather than a mint error. They are worth no premium to knowledgeable collectors. On an off-center strike, both sides of the coin are off center, and it would have to show a good-sized unstruck area before it would be considered to be worth a premium, like this one taken from another forum topic:

image.png.236bf457acd580c1cac946a1c153143c.png

image.png.ce97d8034c11b3e00b21ac7de8b635db.png

Keep asking questions here. You are learning.

As for the other "places" you mentioned.....well, the non-off center, corroded cent in the photos has no collector value at all. It is worth not even a "couple of bucks, or a doe, or even a road-kill Bambi."

Edited by RWB

On 12/7/2023 at 9:19 PM, jimbean802 said:

still learning from ebay youtube and the internet

Ebay and YT (except vids from like ANA, NGC or PCGS) are horrible places to learn about coins as evidenced by the coins posted so far and descriptions.  I recommend you start over from scratch beginning with the following topics, and also spend some time on Error-Ref.com if you are interested in error coins and then post more coins with questions.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/7/2023 at 7:48 PM, EagleRJO said:

and also spend some time on Error-Ref.com

I have crazy dreams of searching this database some nights after retiring to bed. One dream I remember in particular was: I was searching for certain mint errors prior to going to sleep. I awoke remembering a dream that all the coins I was searching through were made out of chocolate peppermint patties. I clearly remember the designs of the coins perfectly represented in peppermint patties .50c .5c.25c in various years. In the dream there was no mention or fuss that the coins were made of candy the only discussion was if they were "mint" errors. LOL

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 12/8/2023 at 11:29 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

For future reference this is a decently beautiful 1986 Lincoln Cent. I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder but... in the coin world it's more like beauty at least qualifies for a holder.

Nice alliterative play on words ! :)

Very slightly misaligned die. Not an error. In order for a coin to be an error for a misaligned die, there has to be a second rim next to the proto rim and on the opposite end of the same side of the coin, parts of the design elements missing. The coin you posted is considered to be fully struck despite being slightly misaligned. Still worth face value.