• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JEFFERSON NICKEL is 85 years old!
1 1

18 posts in this topic

The Jefferson Nickel was issued during the waning [90] days of 1938 and is now 85 years old.  They apparently were such a novelty, coming on the hooves of the Buffalo, that many were not found in regular circulation until the early 1940's. Ardent collectors will forgive my impertinence and audacity for suggesting a design change, but quite honestly, the most recent such design changes, whether permanent, or temporary, such as those that have been proposed for the 250th anniversary just don't cut if for me.  If it were up to YOU, with congressional approval -- momentarily scrapping the recent U.S. Mint's quiz on possible classic designs, what would you like to see featured on a new nickel, post 2026?

[FWIW:  an interesting factoid:  only one 1969-D Jeff' graded a MS-60 was found to display a version of one of two FS.  It was auctioned off for $33,000 in August 2021 by Stack's Bowers Galleries.]

On 12/5/2023 at 8:50 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The Jefferson Nickel was issued during the waning [90] days of 1938 and is now 85 years old.  They apparently were such a novelty, coming on the hooves of the Buffalo, that many were not found in regular circulation until the early 1940's. Ardent collectors will forgive my impertinence and audacity for suggesting a design change, but quite honestly, the most recent such design changes, whether permanent, or temporary, such as those that have been proposed for the 250th anniversary just don't cut if for me.  If it were up to YOU, with congressional approval -- momentarily scrapping the recent U.S. Mint's quiz on possible classic designs, what would you like to see featured on a new nickel, post 2026?

[FWIW:  an interesting factoid:  only one 1969-D Jeff' graded a MS-60 was found to display a version of one of two FS.  It was auctioned off for $33,000 in August 2021 by Stack's Bowers Galleries.]

...factoid...is that east harlemese for small t u r d?....

On 12/5/2023 at 11:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Scrap Jefferson. Put Ronald Reagan on a coin.

...i agree with ur general suggestion but think a higher denomination than the nickel, i actually prefer on a currency note, but the factions in congress will never agree...maybe one day get some kind of concensus on say the $20 note n have 3-4-5 diff notes with diff persons??...the current nickel as well as cents r pretty poor, if they cant come up with something better in next couple years perhaps just re-issue past designs in a series like the national parks or if totally impotent they could go back n adopt one of the pattern designs that wasnt approved, many of those way better than the current designs....

On 12/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, zadok said:

...i agree with ur general suggestion but think a higher denomination than the nickel, i actually prefer on a currency note, but the factions in congress will never agree...maybe one day get some kind of concensus on say the $20 note n have 3-4-5 diff notes with diff persons??...the current nickel as well as cents r pretty poor, if they cant come up with something better in next couple years perhaps just re-issue past designs in a series like the national parks or if totally impotent they could go back n adopt one of the pattern designs that wasnt approved, many of those way better than the current designs....

I’ve got an idea. Keep voting AGAINST YOUR particular Congresscritter until they agree to put Ronald Wilson Reagan on a currency item. Better yet, run for Congress in HIS party to “primary” him. 

On 12/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, VKurtB said:

I’ve got an idea. Keep voting AGAINST YOUR particular Congresscritter until they agree to put Ronald Wilson Reagan on a currency item. Better yet, run for Congress in HIS party to “primary” him. 

...im too old to "run" id have to "slow" against him....

On 12/6/2023 at 10:48 AM, zadok said:

...im too old to "run" id have to "slow" against him....

My guy is Aderholt of Alabama and he’s on board already. My previous guy was Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, and he’s waaaay on board. I choose to live in my later years based on the politics of the elected representatives.  Every elected representative I have, besides the POTUS and the VPOTUS, is a hard right winger. “I love this place.”

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/5/2023 at 7:50 PM, Henri Charriere said:

FWIW:  an interesting factoid:  only one 1969-D Jeff' graded a MS-60 was found to display a version of one of two FS.  It was auctioned off for $33,000 in August 2021 by Stack's Bowers Galleries.]

Are you referring to a full step coin or a variation of the designer’s initials? I know full step 69Ds are nearly impossible to find.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:40 PM, Lem E said:

Are you referring to a full step coin or a variation of the designer’s initials? I know full step 69Ds are nearly impossible to find.

Full steps on any 60's coins are a bonus.

I do know every 5- or 6-Full Step nickel must be in Mint State grade condition.

I do not know if the '69D was the oldest Jefferson given that attribution, or whether it had 5 or 6 steps but am sure that information may be found in the Stack's Bowers' archives.

On 12/5/2023 at 11:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Scrap Jefferson. Put Ronald Reagan on a coin.

More than any president I think the nickel should be replaced with a half dime for circulation. That would really cut down on production costs and make five cent pieces profitable for the government. 

On 12/7/2023 at 2:50 PM, olympicsos said:

More than any president I think the nickel should be replaced with a half dime for circulation. That would really cut down on production costs and make five cent pieces profitable for the government. 

Interesting idea.  Doubtful it would ever happen, but if it were entertained I would hope they would consider calling it a HALF-DISME. I see there is one available for sale on eBay for a half-million dollars + shipping... $1000.  🤣   Yeah, right.

On 12/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Interesting idea.  Doubtful it would ever happen, but if it were entertained I would hope they would consider calling it a HALF-DISME. I see there is one available for sale on eBay for a half-million dollars + shipping... $1000.  🤣   Yeah, right.

Think about it, a half dime with the clad composition would be smaller than a dime and the dime costs less than five cents to make. 

Just saw your beautiful 43P war nickel on another thread.  I cannot remember where I read about the only (unique) FS 69D, but now I know why you asked. Would you, or anyone else, know what the oldest FS nickel is?

On 12/9/2023 at 6:39 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Just saw your beautiful 43P war nickel on another thread.  I cannot remember where I read about the only (unique) FS 69D, but now I know why you asked. Would you, or anyone else, know what the oldest FS nickel is?

This would be my oldest FS 

1938 +.jpg

1938 reverse +.jpg

What enquiring minds really want to know is what effect, if any, the discovery and certification of yet another '69-D would have on the FMV of the one auctioned off only a few years ago for $33,000.  🤔