• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1855 Large Cent Last 5 is missing
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have an 1855 Large Cent where the last 5 is missing and the only reason I know it is an 1855 is because the one 5 is slanted. I have searched the internet over and have yet to see one. Soon as I get home I will post pictures.

Anyone have any idea what something like that would be worth?

Most likely a grease strike through and doesn't add much to the price as its grade would dictate. Some collectors like to collect these coins, but they are not particularly valuable otherwise.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

We really can't render an opinion on your coin without seeing photos. The most likely explanations are either a damaged coin, which would reduce whatever value it would otherwise have, or a filled die, which would add little or no value and wouldn't be desirable to most large cent collectors.

1855 is not the only year that Braided Hair type large cents (1839-57) had slanted 5s in the date. The 5s on all pieces dated 1850-54 are somewhat slanted, and both 1855s and 1856s come with both slanted and upright 5s. 

Edited by Sandon
added missing word

On 12/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, TrinityAQK said:

Don't worry...I have some extra "5s" left over from my old typewriter. I'll send you one for your coin -- OK?

On 12/5/2023 at 3:45 PM, TrinityAQK said:

I have an 1855 Large Cent where the last 5 is missing and the only reason I know it is an 1855 is because the one 5 is slanted. I have searched the internet over and have yet to see one. Soon as I get home I will post pictures.

Spoiler

Here is the coin

IMG_9101.jpeg

IMG_9102.jpeg

I would need better photos to tell for sure, but it appears that this is an 1854 large cent on which the last digit has been partially effaced by scraping or other damage. (The coin has Very Fine details but has been "cleaned" or polished.) Please take clearer photos that are cropped to show to the greatest extent possible the coin and not the surface that surrounds it. It might also be helpful to remove the coin from the 2x2 holder before photographing it, removing the staples first so that they do not scratch the coin.

FYI, here is an NGC photo of the obverse of an 1854 large cent that should enable you to see why your coin also appears to be an 1854:

image.png.b6109f4d6e46f758eba5f6f4714c879b.png

I will get better pictures when I get home. I had some coins laying out like 20 years ago and my mom walked by and wiped them with a cloth looking at them because some of them I found with a metal detector such as the large vent pictured above. The half dime below was my great great grandfathers that supposedly got it from his buddy that worked at the mint aligning the machine and this was the first one stamped but who knows. It weighs more than the rest but as you can tell it has more metal on it. My great grandad carried it in his pocket for years as a good luck charm unfortunately.

IMG_9103.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I quickly saw the faint remnants of a 4 so I think the Large Cent is an 1854. I agree as well the coin was previously cleaned and would be VF details.

As for the half dime, could the story possibly be corroborated by some facts? You would need some facts to back that up such as some type of evidence he was a Mint employee. As for that being a test strike, I'm not sure. The planchets should all be the same at the start and not have "extra" metal on them. You would not want to do a test on a defective planchet with big metal blobs on it. It could be from employee tomfoolery.

The following link is what I read on die adjustment strikes and if that was truly a test strike, it would be a unicorn but it would need some documentation to back up the claim.

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=adjustment+strike

Edited by powermad5000

It is better to start a new topic when you post coins other than the one referred to in the topic title.

Whatever its origin may have been, the 1847 Liberty Seated half dime has been severely worn, damaged, scratched, and "cleaned". The claim of origin is probably unverifiable. It shows no evidence of having been any sort of special striking.  It is worth only a few dollars in this condition.

FYI, here is what a coin of this type looks like in uncirculated condition, this one an 1844 that NGC graded MS 63:

1844HalfDimeDimeObv..thumb.JPG.a0e2516f6b16a2f1691dae8c399ba511.JPG

1844HalfDimerev..thumb.JPG.bb8f98ccf88f81e50e0254185daddf33.JPG

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.