• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too good to be true
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Bought a lot of coins. Two stood out. 1804 liberty draped bust and 1870s  seated liberty dollar. Trying to discern the authenticity. I understand that 1804 had lettered edge except for class 2 . Mine has no lettering, just reeded. The 1870s seated has had the motto erases for whatever reason, god hater perhaps, but anyhow, just trying to figure authenticity 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Agree with the 1807 being a fake. 
As stated, a clear photo of both sides of the 1870 will be required
but if it has no motto, then it also is a fake as the last year for the    
No Motto was 1865

Edited by Greenstang

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The "1804" dollar is a very crude and often seen fake that looks nothing like the Class I so-called "originals" or "novodels" struck at the U.S. mint in about 1834-35 for presentation to foreign rulers or the so-called "restrikes" (mostly Class III) struck after 1857 for dealers or collectors with connections at the mint.  (The unique "Class II" piece in the Smithsonian was struck over an 1857 Swiss shooting thaler.) The genuine "1804" dollars were made from planchets with lettered edges that were crushed by the close collars used in striking the coins, not plain or reeded edges. Some years ago, someone showed me about a dozen of these same crude fakes with reeded edges. See https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1804-1-original-class/6907 for photos of and information about the very rare and famous genuine pieces.

Regarding the 1870 Liberty Seated dollar, please post clearer photos of both sides of the coin. It appears that the date numerals are different than on the genuine coin, and all coins of this year would have the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the reverse. See 1870 $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).

There are decent and bad counterfeits of 1804 dollars. Then there are the atrocious, and unfortunately, yours is among them. Can't speak to the 1870 due to the pics.

The 1804 dollar is a common reproduction seen on etsy.

There are actually quite a lot of counterfeits and misattributed coins on Etsy, not just very valuable ones like the 1804 dollar.  Stay away from Etsy when buying raw coins.

Thank you for all your input. It’s nice to be able to ask questions without being given the ol stink eye. Too bad for fake coins. Yes, better pics are on the way. The motto seems to have been there but probably removed by someone who has a beef with God.

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7373.jpeg

Edited by DamonM
Missing context

Unfortunately, the purported 1870-S Liberty Seated dollar is also counterfeit. The 1870-S is an extremely rare issue of which only nine pieces are known to exist. The genuine ones have the motto above the eagle and a much smaller "S" mintmark, as well as other characteristics that don't match your piece. See 1870 S $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos of and information about the genuine coin.

You know what they say about "if something seems too good to be true".  It doesn't matter with these coins, but if you are going to handle coins with your bare hands only touch them on the edges.

So now that you are aware that those are counterfeit coins, please understand that it is considered fraud to re-sell those coins without disclosing that they are known fakes. If they are in fact made of silver, then they are worth bullion or melt value, but I highly doubt they are even silver. Personally, if I run across coins like this in a garage sale lot or other large group buy, I methodically destroy or melt (if precious) ALL of those coins. I urge you to take one for the team and destroy them to keep them out of the hobby and marketplace so you will be the last one hoodwinked by them. Thanks and good luck hope things go better for you.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Given that you already found a couple of bogus pieces in that lot, if you have as much sense as you seem to, you will now be questioning the authenticity of any piece therein that seems to be valuable enough anyone would bother to counterfeit it.

On 12/2/2023 at 2:40 AM, DamonM said:

Bought a lot of coins. Two stood out. 1804 liberty draped bust and 1870s  seated liberty dollar. Trying to discern the authenticity. I understand that 1804 had lettered edge except for class 2 . Mine has no lettering, just reeded. The 1870s seated has had the motto erases for whatever reason, god hater perhaps, but anyhow, just trying to figure authenticity 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh FFS. Lord have mercy.