• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get dies encapsulated & certified?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have a die collection from various Super Bowls. My question is… Has anyone had dies graded or certified and encapsulated? My main concern is losing the display value. I’m worried they just won’t look good encapsulated on display. Just looking for some friendly advice. 

IMG_6728.jpeg

IMG_7444.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

IMG_6606.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The only information I was able to find about this subject on the NGC website is in the following article: NGC Now Certifies and Encapsulates Cancelled Dies | NGC (ngccoin.com). Apparently, the dies are not "graded", just identified and authenticated. Some of your dies look like they may be too large for NGC to encapsulate; note the size limitations in the article. 

Personally, I think that the die holders are unattractive and that your display would lose much of its aesthetic appeal if the dies were encased in them. 

I agree with @Sandon on this topic. I know that NGC will certify dies. I tried to get my hands on a 1988 D Lincoln Memorial cent retired obverse die but lost the auction. I just wanted to have one die as a conversation piece. I don't think I would have ever paid to have it certified and if I wanted it encased, I probably would have gone to Hobby Lobby and got a proper sized plastic case to put it in but I figure, unlike coins, the die may "tone" over time but I don't think with proper storage that it would corrode or change much.

I would absolutely leave them as they are. That is a really neat display, don't wreck it by sticking the dies in a plastic tomb.

You can always have them certified later if you're looking to sell or let an auction house make the decision to have them certified or not when the time comes.

I have to go along with @Fenntucky Mike. In some respects, this whole "Do or Die" mindset/mania has taken on a life of its own.  I knew someone that collected cobalt-blue antique bottles like the Poisons with their criss-crossed raised tactile features and another who collected insulators from power lines that were taken down.  Certification of either would be unnecessary. They speak for themselves and the ability to handle them makes them attractive.  Some things speak for themselves, are instantly recognizable and should be "accessible."  A Mint die does not require encapsulation. Unless Jay Leno starts encapsulating his extensive car collection, I believe all one needs is a nice make-shift wood and lucite display box.

Impressive collection and presentation. Leave it alone. Sticking these into holders would ruin the visual effect and relationship. If you decide to sell in the future, an auction company will be the best one to decide on "certification." (Presuming you have the original paperwork from the private producers. What could NGC or PCGS add that would make their "certification" meaningful?)

Edited by RWB

Agreed. Just because our hosts are in the "plastic entombment industry", that doesn't mean that most things should be so entombed. In point of fact, the MAJORITY of what ends up in plastic should never have been put there.