• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Half Dol 1867 Questions
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello, i wanted to know if anyone of You guys, knows something about this features in this Half Dol coin.

Double Star next to year

Inverted number 4 next to flag

20231124_221816.jpg

20231124_221857.jpg

20231124_221908.jpg

20231124_222048.jpg

20231124_222022.jpg

Edited by samocain
Wrong spelling

Welcome to the forum

Those are known as counterstamps, they have been added for some reason after the coin has left the mint.   
Normally random counterstamps do not add any value to the coin as they could have been added anytime
and anyone can do the same thing 

Interesting counter stamps given the date of 1867. The civil war had ended two years before. I noted three different counter stamps.

1 double star next to date 

2 LR to the left of shield on reverse

3 reverse 4 between flag and star on obverse.

the coin appears to be a late die state based on the weak denticles. As RWB stated it is still a collectible coin.

Edited by Mr.Bill347

F 15 Details Counter Stamped /Harshly Cleaned. Worth around $75.00 as it is. Not a very attractive coin. If it wasn't cleaned or counter stamped it would be worth $130-$170 in F VF graded straight. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Thanks to all of You guys wich reply to this post.

Some details for You to know:

This coin have been stored away for many decades on a safe box with many others. In the safe box i found just 3 american coins the half dol from 1867, a one dime from 1883 and a trime (3 cents), from 1861.

I just opened they safe box to days ago.

I didnt clean any coin, and the safebox belonged to My great grandfather.

I live in Chile, so i  don't know to much about american coins and the marks on then aswell.

In the safe i found many Chilean old coins, and some others from other places around the world.

Thanks again.

20231125_115421.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

As others have stated, the star next to the date and the inverted "4" near the liberty cap (not flag) on your 1867-S Liberty Seated half dollar (a relatively common issue) are counterstamps that someone added after the coin left the mint. There also appears to be a counterstamp (initials?) on the rock on which Liberty sits. (The small "S" below the eagle is a mintmark indicating that the San Francisco mint produced this coin.)  The coin's unnatural color and hairline scratches indicate that it has obviously been "cleaned" at some point, perhaps before it came into the possession of your family. The coin has Fine to Very Fine details; but the counterstamps, which aren't those of known merchants that some collect, and the "cleaning" tend to devalue it. The $75 estimate (retail) is about right.

The 1883 Liberty Seated dime is a common date in this series. All were struck at the Philadelphia mint. If the reverse is as nice as the obverse, it is in Very Fine or so condition, with a retail value of $30 or so.

The 1861 silver three cent piece is a counterfeit, probably of contemporary (nineteenth century) origin that was passed as money rather than having been made to deceive collectors. Some people collect these contemporary counterfeits, but I can't place a value on it. A genuine piece of this type looks like this 1869:

18693centssilverobv..thumb.jpg.2b5b3c40a346892a89ce60eb0bd007ea.jpg

18693centssilverrev..thumb.jpg.d3e42f1337cb82692c2fc17cfbab9f32.jpg

Edited by Sandon

Hello Sandon, thanks for your answer.

I am greatful for the knowledge shared with me.

Here i Will post some pictures of the one dime and the three cent coins.

Good week for all You guys.

20231127_003926.jpg

20231127_003911.jpg

20231127_003833.jpg

20231127_003846.jpg

Hello!

The dime posted above seems to be a well circulated genuine issue, but the 3 cent silver (trime) sure looks like a counterfeit. I don't think the font on the obverse is correct as the lettering looks to be too large compared to a genuine issue. Also on the reverse, the three I's (III) should line up at the top and bottom and be even in size and on your coin, they appear to be crooked and different from each other as well as the "C" shape seems to be not shaped correctly and  the dots in it seem too large. Also, the leaves seem to be incorrect to a genuine example. 

It appears that stamped versions are somewhat popular and it does not seem to impact the value too much.

As for a grade for the seated liberty dime, right off hand, I would say that grade would bedone would be F+

As for a grade for the 3 cent  piece, right off hand, I would say that grade would bedone would be F+ as well.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/26/2023 at 10:21 PM, dprince1138 said:

It appears that stamped versions are somewhat popular and it does not seem to impact the value too much.

As for a grade for the seated liberty dime, right off hand, I would say that grade would bedone would be F+

As for a grade for the 3 cent  piece, right off hand, I would say that grade would bedone would be F+ as well.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

It appears that right off hand I would say I grade your comment F+ as well. Failure Plus. You bedone now too please.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/27/2023 at 3:02 AM, powermad5000 said:

Hello!

The dime posted above seems to be a well circulated genuine issue, but the 3 cent silver (trime) sure looks like a counterfeit. I don't think the font on the obverse is correct as the lettering looks to be too large compared to a genuine issue. Also on the reverse, the three I's (III) should line up at the top and bottom and be even in size and on your coin, they appear to be crooked and different from each other as well as the "C" shape seems to be not shaped correctly and  the dots in it seem too large. Also, the leaves seem to be incorrect to a genuine example. 

Hello, thanks for your answer. I also noticed that the S on the STATE Word is almost touching they T, so i Will asume that is an other fact to consider this a fake coin.

On 11/27/2023 at 3:38 AM, samocain said:

image.thumb.png.943bcf5d67abb349325d5af973df053d.png

image.thumb.png.4a05eb6265c9d35bc38236fe1d7386fa.png

I agree with Sandon that 1861 3CS may be a contemporary counterfeit which some people collect.  It appears old, but perhaps they can be made to look that way.  I recall @ldhair might have some of these, but I'm not sure if any assistance could be provided in identifying same.

Looks like a counterfeit to me as well. This maybe an early die state.

Not much value in this condition but probably worth a bit more than the real thing.

Image_0186.jpg

Image_0189.jpg