• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toilet seat
1 1

10 posts in this topic

It is extremely difficult to remove coins from a plastic embedment - which is what you likely have - without damaging them and eliminating (no pun intended) whatever collector value they might have once had. It might bring more than silver melt value at a phony "Country Estate" auction.

(PS: "Buffalo" and "Indian head" nickels are the same thing.)

On 11/24/2023 at 12:48 PM, Nicoke said:

Why wouldn't it? It's an old one. It has 3 all silver bicentennial quarters. A bunch of Buffalo head nickles. A large 1879 Morgan. Some Indian head nickles

Because it's hard to imagine anyone wanting it. I would suggest consigning it with an antique dealer.

Haha, what a great question and one I’ve never seen asked.  Truthfully, the work to get them out of such a novelty toilet bowl (which I’ve seen many times amazingly) is NOT worth the trouble.  First off, many toilet bowls with this are often faked better coins with quarters mixed in.  But believe me, there is no real value beyond what such a toilet bowl “seating area” would be worth.  They sold these in novelty magazines in the 80s/90s.  Never heard anyone ever ask them before (though I’m sure someone has!)

I learned a long, long time ago, that there's no accounting for peoples' tastes. How would you like to have a toilet made of solid gold?  It's there either in the record books or on Google. I respectfully disagree with those who would seek to have the coins embedded or glued pried loose. They are damaged and I seriously doubt any chosen for "display" were based on their numismatic value.  Just as there is a universally accepted standard for unattractive men for an equally physically undesirable female.counterparts, it is a given there is a demand out there somewhere for such a throne. In point of fact, I have no opinion on the matter.

I would (cringing) be interested to see a photo of such a thing, but I can only imagine without it, that the coins are somehow glued or embedded into it so as not to fall out into the toilet, and that the removal of them would damage them beyond any value whatsoever except for melt (like coins grading Mount Removed but possibly being freed from their position in much worse shape). I would say there were no key dates or truly rare coins used to make such an item so I would say to leave them as is and find a buyer for the seat.