• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Zerbe Dollar
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a 1921 Morgan Silver dollar that I think might be a Zerbe. Does anyone know if it is one? The fields are very hair lined and there is a small die scratch above the second U of UNUM on the Obverse. It also has a very good strike. 

IMG_20231122_082832325[1].jpg

IMG_20231122_082844328[1].jpg

The pictures are too fuzzy to see any hairlines as indicated on Zerbe Morgan dollars. The attached image from PCGS shows what hairlines they are describing for a 1921 Morgan Zerbe.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXojWZlKPGuBit4Z0nmVX
The 1921 Zerbe Special Strike Morgan Dollars were struck on special polished dies but on normal circulation type planchets. Zerbe Special Strikes show many hairlines on the devices of the coins compared to circulation strike coins.

IMG_5732.jpeg

Very pretty coin.

I do not know, but I did find an article about this type of strike.

https://coinweek.com/1921-s-morgan-dollar-zerbe-proof-a-collectors-guide/

Also, off topic, the Morgan 1921 dollar has a host of variations and die issues.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/morgan-dollars-1878-1921/?page=4

On 11/22/2023 at 7:01 AM, dprince1138 said:

Very pretty coin.

I do not know, but I did find an article about this type of strike.

https://coinweek.com/1921-s-morgan-dollar-zerbe-proof-a-collectors-guide/

Also, off topic, the Morgan 1921 dollar has a host of variations and die issues.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/morgan-dollars-1878-1921/?page=4

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!!  Everything he has said is wrong.  Everyone else has given correct advice.  

From what I know of the 1921 Zerbe strikes, there was 150-200 produced. No proof Morgans were produced for this year, but the Zerbe strikes all look PL due to the special strike dies used, and also had better details than normal circulation strikes of 1921. Using my phone to enlarge the reverse of your coin, the eagles tops of wings appear to be the normal circulation strike details and not the sharp Zerbe details.

While the original submitter possibly didn't pay the extra cost to have the coin looked at for the special strike, they also may have paid the extra cost and the coin didn't qualify. Imho, I think you have a very nice 1921 Morgan normal circulation strike but not a Zerbe.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:26 PM, powermad5000 said:

From what I know of the 1921 Zerbe strikes, there was 150-200 produced. No proof Morgans were produced for this year, but the Zerbe strikes all look PL due to the special strike dies used, and also had better details than normal circulation strikes of 1921.

All of the above is nonsense. Zerbe was already on the SF Mint's "shxt list" for screwing up the PPIE commemorative coins sales. There were no "special dies" or anything else, and no one knows how many PL 1921 dollars he got to take to a coin club meeting.

The so-called "Chapman proofs" were made in May 1921 at Philadelphia, and although not true proof coins, the curator of the Mint Cabinet affirmed their superior quality. These would actually qualify as "Specimen Coins" through the combination of appearance and documentation.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, RWB said:

All of the above is nonsense. Zerbe was already on the SF Mint's "shxt list" for screwing up the PPIE commemorative coins sales. There were no "special dies" or anything else, and no one knows how many PL 1921 dollars he got to take to a coin club meeting.

The so-called "Chapman proofs" were made in May 1921 at Philadelphia, and although not true proof coins, the curator of the Mint Cabinet affirmed their superior quality. These would actually qualify as "Specimen Coins" through the combination of appearance and documentation.

So they gave Zerbe the first day run of coins off new die's that is the only reason why they are nicer looking coins. 

Edited by J P M