• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 1cent
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Would this be a MS coin?  Or a BU. Don’t look to have any errors just a fantastic coin pulled from circulation change yesterday. Let me know if I missed anything. Partial (S) on reverse      Grease error??image.thumb.jpg.15ead1e9132fe137b061ae3c6678d3cc.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.ba26e4b598cf2dbde5ffaaa0d0ec9e42.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.719da1541671c11694a15138a4da1ba4.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.73cc49ff452ebfcfcd05a2b734af8f7c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0a4a6264691ced5a559c0989bdf65806.jpg

image.jpg

On 11/21/2023 at 2:31 AM, dprince1138 said:

MS means Mint Strike, which is a coin struck for typical distribution. but never put into circulation.  BU is a synonym.  Certainly is pretty and probably recently introduced into circulation. This coin appears 

Not quite.  MS stands for mint state, meaning in the same condition as when it was struck. This coin appears to have light wear on the high points, I would say it is in AU condition.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:31 PM, dprince1138 said:

MS means Mint Strike, which is a coin struck for typical distribution. but never put into circulation.  BU is a synonym.  Certainly is pretty and probably recently introduced into circulation.

This is your answer to what MS and BU mean?  You literally have a thread called “coin grading PSA” and you state MS stands for Mint Strike?    BU means a synonym?  Seriously??  

Obviously MS stands for Mint State and BU stands for Brilliant Uncirculated.  Also, MS does NOT mean never put into circulation.  It is a Grade of a coin.  

Edited by Newenglandrarities

The mint had problems getting Lincoln Memorial cents to strike up fully on the upper part of the reverse, due to the fact that it is directly opposite the lower part of the bust on the obverse, which was a relatively high relief part of the design. If you look at cents from the early 80s especially, this is a common occurrence. They lowered the relief in '85 or '86 to try to alleviate the problem, but it didn't always work, as seen by the OP's coin.

I see a cent that retained its color, but is lightly circulated (upper AU). It also has some plating bubbles on both sides of the coin. Lincoln Cents of this era need to be in fantastic shape to be worthy of the cost of submitting. By fantastic shape, I mean MS 68 RD and up.