• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Penny
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2023 at 1:16 PM, l.cutler said:

You really need to explain what you are asking about, are you seeing what you think may be an error?. Just wondering about the value or the condition?

I took it to mean whatever thoughts came to mind.

Based on the photos, this is just a circulated (Very Fine to Extremely Fine) 1941 Lincoln cent (887 million minted) with a retail (dealer sell as a single) value of 10-15 cents. Dealers buy these common circulated "wheat" cents in bulk (hundreds or thousands of pieces at a time) for 3 or 4 cents each.

Kelly,

This is a pleasant coin with honest circulation wear and some minor damage. No visible errors. Worth about 3-cents in copper.

Did you think it was a minting error of some kind?

On 11/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, RWB said:

Worth about 3-cents in copper

I thought you couldn't melt legal tender coins, or does that only apply to precious metal coins.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, EagleRJO said:

I thought you couldn't melt legal tender coins, or does that only apply to precious metal coins.

It applies to them all, so far as I am aware. But so does deliberate defacement and counterfeiting.

I see the first T in TRUST being a little "shrunken" but I don't think that would add any value to the cent. Most minor variations across coinage (even some recognized as varieties) do not command any premiums. I would keep this cent as a conversation piece. It is a normal circulated cent with some environmental damage on the reverse.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:33 PM, RWB said:

It applies to them all

Okay, that confirms what I thought and was just a little surprised to see you quote an under the table instead of an over the counter price.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, RWB said:

It applies to them all, so far as I am aware. But so does deliberate defacement and counterfeiting.

There is a regulation in effect prohibiting the commercial mass melting of current US one-cent and five-cent coins. All other coins, and older cents and nickels that are not "current", can be legally melted. Small-time hobbyists are not prohibited from melting a few current cents or nickels.

Defacement of US Coins is generally legal. Here are instances where it would not be legal:

1) The defacement is done with fraudulent intent. This would include intentionally increasing the apparent face value of the coin or note and then knowingly attempting to spend it into general circulation at the higher (apparent) face value.

2) Adding commercial advertising to money and then putting it back into general circulation.

3) Shaving metal off coins and then putting those coins back into general circulation.
    (this law is from the era of circulating gold and silver coins - nobody except the CoinStar and vending machines would really care today about shaving copper-nickel coins)

4) Melting current cents and nickels (as discussed above).

Note that nobody is legally required to accept certain coins as payment. If a coin was genuine legal tender but significantly defaced, the holder could still legally present that coin as payment. But the payee could legally refuse to accept it for that payment. The payer and the payee could then negotiate a different form of payment, or either party could unilaterally cancel the transaction (although any debt associated with this would not be cancelled unless the creditor agreed to cancel the debt).

Edited by dcarr