• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946-D DD Penny
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I see no doubling of any kind on the photos of this worn (Fine or so) and lightly damaged 1946-D cent. It is of the kind that dealers pay a few cents apiece for in bulk.

On 11/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, Kellym said:

1946-D DD Penny ... Thanks for taking a look.

I don't see any doubling, which I think is where Greenstang was going, unless it's just the images posted.  It just looks like an old and worn cent.  I will give you a little more info here that may apply to other coins you have questions about.

For this coin, and other coins where you think there might be doubling, see the attached infographic to help you identify various forms of doubling having the coin in-hand. Sometimes you have to tilt the coin at an angle to see if any doubling is at the same level (true hub doubling), or lower with a step/shelf like appearance which is common machine doubling from the strike or die deterioration with no added value.

Doubled die coins with true hub doubling are the only ones that may have added value.  If you do see some indications of true hub doubling with the coin in-hand, you can then go to sites like DoubledDie.com or VarietyVista.com to see if it matches a known DD.  The doubleddie.com site in particular also has some very good info on "Doubled Dies" and "Worthless Doubling" if you click on those links in the left hand menu. 

Keep in mind that those sites pretty much lists almost all the known doubled die coins, and not necessarily ones that are significant enough be be attributed by a TPG like NGC or have any extra value.  NGC lists coins with varieties that they will attribute (i.e. add to a label if it can be identified) at the following VarietyPlus link ... https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/ ... and the following webpage for your 1946-D 1C ... https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-wheat-reverse-1909-1958/?page=1 

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO
Infographic typo corrected thanks to Henri Charriere

By "DD", did you mean a doubled die or a repunched mintmark ("RPM")--in this case a repunched "D"? Your photos aren't clear enough to see whether your coin has a repunched mintmark.

Doubled dies are the result of the "hubs" that are used to make working dies being moved between impressions on the die blank. Until about 1992 mint marks were separately punched into each die by hand. A repunched mintmark resulted from the punch being shifted between blows. These are different types of die varieties (not errors).

Opinion:  To me a doubled-die is not something you should have to look for, hence I recognize none beyond the 1955.

For the benefit of the gentleman who provided the annotation... the term is die deterioration.  :hi:

On 11/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, Henri Charriere said:

For the benefit of the gentleman who provided the annotation... the term is die deterioration.  :hi:

Thanks, fixed.  You know how many times I have looked at and posted that annotated infographic without noticing my typo.  There is a name for something you see just because you expect it to be like that even though it isn't, which is a type of visual cognitive bias, but I am drawing a (_) right now on what it's called.  (shrug)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/19/2023 at 6:05 PM, Greenstang said:

The D mm on the OP’s coin is in the wrong position to be VP-002 RPM-006.

Another swing and a big miss by the master of misinformation (dprince1138). Did someone turn the air conditioning on in here?

Edited by powermad5000

On 11/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, EagleRJO said:

There is a name for something you see just because you expect it to be like that even though it isn't,

Would that word be delusion?

On 11/20/2023 at 12:50 AM, powermad5000 said:

Would that word be delusion?

No, but sort of like that.  I'm thinking of something else which is a sort of visual cognitive bias which fills in memory gaps, replaces things as you expect to see them, or specifically skips over things seen repetively in the past and you could swear it is different from the way it really is in reality.  It will come to me eventually. ;)

P.S. I think it's called "pareidolia" as suggested by another.

Edited by EagleRJO

I think pareidolia is more seeing things that aren't actually there, such as the one post on here a while ago where the OP thought he was seeing faces and symbols in a Lincoln cent or the other one where a different OP continued to claim his cent was larger than a normal cent but it was even with a normal cent in the photos.