• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just posting these and reading on the internet is helping figure out what i got never looked to close at them family colection 1837 1 cent can i clean these with antibacterial soap
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I agree that it is best to only try to remove surface dirt from a coin with a neutral solvent such as acetone, which will not form a chemical compound by interacting with the coin's metal or abrade its surface. Copper is highly reactive and may be unfavorably affected even by soap. Bear in mind that acetone is highly flammable and should be used far away from any possible flame or spark and in a well-ventilated area. The green substance is likely a compound that has already formed on the surface (environmental damage or corrosion) and probably can't be removed without further damaging this piece.

What you have is technically not a coin but a "Hard Times token", many different types of which were privately produced from approximately 1834 to 1841. Many, like this one, have a political theme, criticizing President Andrew Jackson (the "illustrious predecessor" on this token, depicted as a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces) or his successor, President Martin Van Buren. The phrase "I follow in the steps of my illustrious predecessor" comes from Van Buren's inaugural address. The trunk labeled "subtreasury" mounted on a turtle's back refers to Jackson's depositing federal monies into favored local banks designated "subtreasuries" instead of renewing the charter of the Bank of the United States, which had previously been the depository for most such funds. I think that this is a common variety of no great value in this condition, but it is still a piece of historical interest.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:22 PM, Sandon said:

What you have is technically not a coin but a "Hard Times token" ........

Where did you find such detailed info about this token?

On 11/19/2023 at 11:03 AM, Greenstang said:

It is not advised to clean any coin except for soaking in pure acetone.

I also agree with this, except I don’t consider just soaking in acetone which has a neutral pH really "cleaning" as it's more like just a "solution soak" to me.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, jimbean802 said:

... can I clean these with antibacterial soap

I once did a check by very gently cleaning one of two virtually identical coins from a roll with soap and warm water.  I took photos and examined them with magnification before and after, touching or handling both in the same manner except the control coin wasn't cleaned with soap.  I was astonished at the rub marks and very fine hairline scratches clearly present on the coin cleaned with soap and water, even though I was trying to be extremely careful.

I think small particles in the gunk stuck to the coin were pushed along the surfaces of the coin, just by the act of trying to remove them, which caused hairlines.  And just moving my finger on the surfaces with soap, even where there was no gunk, caused some rub marks.  I will post the comparison photos if I can find them again as it was a long time ago.

Very nice token (not 1 cent) by the way. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, EagleRJO said:

Where did you find such detailed info about this token?

My knowledge of U.S. history, going back to high school and including my own reading, enhances and is in part the source of my appreciation of numismatic items.  There is a brief overview of this period in the standard "Redbook", 2023 edition at p.17.