• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first of all thanks for looking steel 1943 penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

You can post as many as you want as long as they are each on a separate thread.

Not sure of your question or if you have one but what I see is a discoloured 1943 steel cent.   
If you are not sure, the weight to two decimal points will tell you if it is steel or not.   
Steel is 2.70g   Copper is 3.11g

So many of these were replated by aftermarket sellers to make them shiny and more appealing to the public. It is nice to see one with original surfaces. Whatever you do, don't try to buff it, or clean it, or alter the surfaces in any way. That would ruin your coin.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection.

That penny is actually a nice little class in coin chemistry. When struck, it was a steel planchet clad in zinc. Original unc examples are striking. Circulation tended to wear the zinc off the high points (and except for the areas just outside the wheat, that's where this wear is most concentrated), baring the steel. We understand what happens to steel when exposed to atmospheric moisture over a period of time, and you can see the rust coming right up to the edges of what's left of the zinc. However, the remaining zinc cladding also tarnishes into an oxide, though this one's remaining cladding is more in the bluish-gray stage that will ultimately become a powdery very light grey.

And if you think it's a pain to remove tarnish, zinc is one of the worst. (Yes, I had to do it in order to identify the coins in question. Foreign wartime issue stuff.)

A 1943 zinc coated steel cent has a retail value of 25 cents or so in this circulated and somewhat rusted condition. FYI, this is what an original uncirculated one (not replated, PCGS graded MS 65) looks like:

1943centobv..jpg.7cbf91e3a4a24109cfe579c4d9508d2b.jpg

1943centrev..jpg.d46cfd75eda2212d2d5d2a4e53ca6665.jpg

Feel free to post as many questions as you would like here. I do agree with @Greenstang to keep each coin in a separate thread though. Many of these steel cents developed rust or corrosion either due to circulation issues or improper storage in a not so good environment. I also agree with @Just Bob despite its appearance, I would not make any attempt to try to improve its appearance as that would only serve to bring the coin down to face value.