• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941-1969 Error Pennies
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I actually feel bad about doing this. I don't want other people to figure things out for me. But, trust me, I have done my due diligence with studding, watching video's, looking a price guides and grading on rare and error coins. I'm just finding different information on different sites and it has been a bit overwhelming being a newbie. I love doing this and with further advise and information collected from the pros with this process, hopefully I won't have to reach out for help too much more.

I've inserted a link to a folder that has photos of the above dated coins from a batch that I have gathered that could possibly be worth selling. Again, I have my thoughts on each but I'm not sure. There is one Nickel, Dime and Quarter from the period that I added to the folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11z4_9dJjmL30Ryd7pc9IGL57778ii-35?usp=drive_link

Thanks for everyone's help.

Kelly

Kelly,

Members here love to answer questions from people who genuinely want to learn and understand coin collecting. I don't use Google drive, but there are likely others here who can access your photos.

Please post photos of coins about which you have questions here and not through a link to a personal folder! I am concerned about clicking such links due to the risk of viruses and malware. 

"Rare and [significant] error coins" are very rarely (almost never) found in circulation or among groups of common coins. If you are watching random videos on YouTube and the like, your confusion has likely been created by the disinformation disseminated by many (though not all) of those videos, which are posted by ignorant or dishonest people. Mint errors are usually collected by advanced collectors who have mastered the basics of coin identification and grading and are familiar with the minting process.  If you insist on looking for them as a "newbie", refer to reliable sources such as the following:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

error-ref.com

For basic and reliable print and online resources to learn about U.S. coins, see the following:

FIrst and foremost, I would recommend reviewing the known die issues and see if there are any of those varities.  These do not include one off errors, such as machine doubling, off strikes, grease strikes or planchet cracks.  

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

Secondly, I do not know what magnification that you use, but I recommend Jarlink 60x. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RSB7S79?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I am busy at the moment, but will certainly take a look.  I have just sent a request for access.

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, Sandon said:

Please post photos of coins about which you have questions here and not through a link to a personal folder!

I agree.  I would also be willing to see if I can assist but don't feel comfortable accessing remote folders.

Also, for clarity you may want to start a separate thread for each coin.  Then it's clear what comments are referencing.  Maybe starting with ones you really would like help with.

Hello and welcome!

Please do not refer to the FYI topic posted by dprince1138 or the posts made by him/her. It is full of incorrect information. This person believes himself/herself to be a coin "expert" but is most certainly not. The members on here have called him/her out numerous times while being constantly ignored and then followed by incorrect posts in just about every topic in the forum recently. We have reason to believe he is using this site as a claim of being on a top site while he is just using it as a "front" for his/her shady coin flipping business on Etsy and eBay.

I as well do not feel comfortable clicking any links (no offense please). I just don't click links from anybody regardless of the source.

Try to post clear, cropped photos of both sides of just one of the coins in this section of the forum to give us an idea of what you think may be errors.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome!

Please do not refer to the FYI topic posted by dprince1138 or the posts made by him/her. It is full of incorrect information. This person believes himself/herself to be a coin "expert" but is most certainly not. The members on here have called him/her out numerous times while being constantly ignored and then followed by incorrect posts in just about every topic in the forum recently. We have reason to believe he is using this site as a claim of being on a top site while he is just using it as a "front" for his/her shady coin flipping business on Etsy and eBay.

I as well do not feel comfortable clicking any links (no offense please). I just don't click links from anybody regardless of the source.

Try to post clear, cropped photos of both sides of just one of the coins in this section of the forum to give us an idea of what you think may be errors.

You are exactly right. I have reason to believe he does other unethical practices, as well. I obviously can not say much in a public forum. However, I can say that I would not trust any link he provides, nor provide any personal info. I also understand why people are hesitant about clicking on a link. In retrospect, I would have not clicked on a link either for the reason I just mentioned. I was trying to find a way of uploading 15 coins in one post instead of 15 posts, as well as being secure. The link provided was secure and was only available for the specific folder. However, I immediately deleted the folder associated to the folder when I saw DPrice's comment. The coins from this batch (I also have batches for 1970's,1980's etc.) are specific coins from those years that I have narrowed down from my research. They are not just anything and everything, so I was hoping I could get a second opinion in a bulk fashion, and would continue to post batches, again narrowed down coins, from other decades. There are not too many that I have picked out, but too many to create individual posts for. Yes, the photos (front/Back) of the coins have been taken and labeled/described correctly. If anyone has another alternate, please share. Otherwise, I will keep studying so I can confirm myself whether or not, I have anything that might be worthy. Thanks to everyone!

Edited by Kellym
Clarification on the folder

On 11/19/2023 at 3:14 PM, Kellym said:

There are not too many that I have picked out, but too many to create individual posts for ... Otherwise, I will keep studying so I can confirm myself whether or not, I have anything that might be worthy.

Bulk posts rarely seem to work out and often get confusing, with limited useful information.  Plus learning how to evaluate coins yourself, starting with the references Sandon posted above, is always the best option in my mind if you have a good number of coins.  Then you can always post individual coin topics where there is a question or you just want another opinion.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:29 PM, RWB said:

How abut posting one or two coins with descriptions of the errors you see. That will get things started.

That's a good suggestion just to get started, and may help in evaluating other coins yourself.