• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morals Morals Morals. . .
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was trolling Goodwill site for oversold items and came across this "dollar" coin that, unless my redbook is missing a magic page, seems a bit fake to me.  What does the populous think?  

1877 t1-O.jpg

1877t1-R.jpg

These obviously fake "mules" (Trade dollar obverse, Seated dollar reverse and, as I recall, vice versa) have shown up on this forum before, usually where the poster thinks that they are real coins. Here an obverse dated 1877 has been paired with a "no motto" Seated dollar reverse design not used since 1866.  The style of engraving and the shapes of the numerals on the obverse are ludicrous and completely unlike those on a genuine 1877 Trade dollar.  The Seated dollar reverse is more realistic, but the style of the reeding and the color and texture of the surfaces also identify this as an obvious fake, no scale or other tests needed. This piece would only be deceptive to novices who have no idea what genuine pieces look like.

Yeah, I figured as much, but sometimes I see something off and I tend to jump that proverbial gun too soon.  So, I am trying to stop and smell the fake roses and I will check myself before I wreck myself.  Not that it will go anywhere, but I am emailing the site to inform them.  Unfortunately, they have a cute little disclaimer that absolves them of all responsibility so in all likelihood, it won't make a difference.  Hence the title: morals morals morals.  Thanks for the verification. 

Magicians coin. If you look at the side, you can see the two halves used to make it. One half is reeded and one not. The fake sides themselves are not really that good either.

If I am not mistaken, one of these was posted by a different OP about a year ago.

Edited by powermad5000

On 11/16/2023 at 11:48 PM, powermad5000 said:

Magicians coin ... If I am not mistaken, one of these was posted by a different OP about a year ago.

I recall either seeing or there being a post on something similar about a year ago.  But it may have just been a fake mule without a side seam.

On 11/16/2023 at 11:51 PM, cobymordet said:

Goodwill probably got it from a disgruntled buyer.  Don't buy coins in Southern Arizona! - LOL

Or don't buy individual coins from Goodwill. (: