• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ebay: FALSE ADVERTISING
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I want to be very cautious as to how I address this issue so bear in mind, dear reader, this is a predicament that is mine, but may be yours as well.  Accordingly, it is best to regard the following as a personal matter framed as a public service announcement. 

The great majority of members using the Chat Board feature know me and what I collect: French 20-franc gold roosters (1899-1914). 

Yesterday, after years of growing frustration and disenchantment, I disengaged myself from one search engine and decided to go back to Google, by Chrome.

This morning, I received forty-two (42) consecutive, nearly-identical notifications, all time-stamped precisely at 11:38 a.m. which conformed to the following general format with a few variations. (Bear in mind, there is no one in the civilized world who is unaware I am interested in three coins: 1910, 1913 and 1914 examples certified in grade MS-67).

"1899 France 20-Franc gold roo... Buy it now from $414... 3 new matches today."  "See All Results," followed, encircled by a box. Not One Match was pertinent!  As if this were not egregious enough, the message, "Similar items you may be interested in," similarly boxed, was followed by scores of arbitrary space fillers listed by every Tom, Duck and Harry in the continguous United States.

For the doubting Thomas's out there, listings were made for all 16 coins in the series, some obviously duplications, with and without any regard to raw or certified status. One promising entry read: "ngc MS68 french 20-fr..." Not surprisingly, there was no such coin (though two have been so certified).

I do not wish to make sweeping generalizations as regarding eBay practices, but I quickly learned you, the prospective buyer, is limited to ONE complaint. I expect my complaint to be dismissed out of hand, without comment.

Sixteen coins, a purported "3 new matches today," followed by scores of inapplicable listings... you do the math and you'll understand why I am not a happy camper.  Ironically, I was dissatisfied with my previous search engine because I refused to believe there was nothing out there in the face of burgeoning certifications. It would be futile to expect eBay to change their ways. I have revised my Coin Market Place post to reflect the fact I am prepared to offer any owner, collector or member an additional $500. in addition to the FMV to anyone as an inducement to consider parting with their precious piece, subject to review by.guidelines and Moderation oversight. 

So these were all eBay notifications about Roosters??? If so, I really don't know what to say. I have viewed items (records, coins, even beer cans) and have gotten some "suggestions" but I I was never bombarded by similar notifications for a type item. For example, I might get a handful for Morgan dollars if I look at one Morgan, but then I will get others for other things I have looked at (CD's, DVD's, vinyl, tshirts).

I cannot imagine the cause or reason for such a bombardment and it would not make me happy either, especially if I were looking for something specific as is in your case. Perhaps when you switched browsers, you have a setting that is "on" that needs to be turned "off".

That's apparently exactly what happened. I switched browsers and was inundated with all the notifications that had been building up over time, simultaneously. There are features TPGS provide to collectors to assist in upgrading, but unfortunately they do not include MS-67 Roosters. 😢 

This is typical of ebay (and other) site searches. I have an automated search for "1942 pattern" which daily returns results that include neither criteria. Of course, I check -- just on the chance something correct slipped through.

There are always inventive methods by dishonest people to steal, on any and all platforms involving money.

While this is a poor experience, I would still highly recommend ebay overall for selling, buying and comparing.  I have been using ebay since 1999, with 2,250 transactions (100% feedback), which includes coin purchases, and have encountered only 1 issue, for which ebay has a very good customer resolution center.

Follow-up...

As expected, my report (complaint) to eBay, about eBay practices, went nowhere.  I deleted all 42 search requests after wasting my time investigating them at length, again, last nite, and found the same request results simply re-listed with today's date.  Not surprisingly, I was again forced to wade through scores, nay, hundreds of totally inapplicable offerings. Even my search requests for Original  coins that have yet to be certified in MS-67-- and the elusive Restrikes certified as MS-68 by NGC, drew an avalanche of useless results.

That's the bad news.  The Good News is if you are one one of the upright, blameless members without sin who has become weary of my presence on the Forum and wish I were long gone, you will see your wish realized when winter, just around the corner, appears on spring's doorstep. I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE IT!  In keeping with my earlier promise, both my Set Registries will come down enabling far more worthier contenders to take my place. And my "voice," on this Forum and the Board, will be heard no more.