• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dollars i saw something on youtube are they worth something should i have them certified
1 1

12 posts in this topic

From what I can see, Eisenhower dollars are only valuable under certain conditions, such as being of the special mint option "silver", "proof" or an extremely pristine mint state.  Even then, the value is generally about $20 from looking on ebay.

From the image, I do not see that there are any particular attributes of note and I would say that t here is no need to have graded\certified.  

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Edited by dprince1138

The coins are worth $1.  While uncommon to find in circulation, you can still get these at the bank on occasion.  Circulated examples like yours are worth face, but they could still be the interesting start of a Ike folder.  

In my house, Ike Dollars come from the Tooth Fairy.  While I do not collect them, they hold a sentimental place.

Edit note:  YouTube is full of clickbait videos on coins.  The more "valuable coins hiding in your change" videos they make the more they get paid.  They almost always fail to say that the coin is a conditional rarity (and sometimes it is mentioned but not realized by the watcher because it's done in grading terms like "MS68").  I am not 100% anti-YouTube, but if you are new to numismatics, there is a lot of baloney sausage to get through before you find an accurate video.  Start with the PCGS grading videos and ANA videos - they will be accurate without the "hype" that will have you chasing ghosts.

Good Luck.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on your current photos, your coins appear to be common date circulation issue (copper-nickel clad) Eisenhower dollars and probably are worth only their face value of $1 each.  The only coins that should be "certified" by third-party grading services are those that you have determined based on adequate knowledge are worth at least several hundred dollars each to justify the considerable cost.

When you post photos of coins about which you have a question on this forum, please post separate photos of each side of each coin, with each photo cropped to show to the greatest extent possible the coin and not the surface on which it sits. 

Anyone can post videos on "YouTube", and many of these videos about coins are posted by ignorant or dishonest people who spread disinformation about coins. There are some legitimate videos, such as those from the American Numismatic Association (the "A.N.A.", money.org), PCGS, the United States Mint, and major coin dealers or auctioneers such as Heritage Auctions (ha.com) or Stacks Bowers (stacksbowers.com).    

If you are interested in legitimate information about coins, please refer to the print and online resources mentioned in the following forum topics: 

On 11/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, dprince1138 said:

From what I can see, Eisenhower dollars are only valuable under certain conditions, such as being of the special mint option "silver", "proof" or an extremely pristine mint state.  Even then, the value is generally about $20 from looking on ebay.

From the image, I do not see that there are any particular attributes of note and I would say that t here is no need to have graded\certified.  

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Again. It does not help when you flood the tread with other coins dprince it makes everything more difficult.

Hello and welcome!

First and foremost, I will say unless it is a YouTube video made by one of the following, it is click bait and probably full of misinformation : only watch those made by ANA, ANACS, NGC or PCGS (if they have videos), or the US Mint or US Treasury.

The Eisenhower series did not catch on well with collectors, many of whom think the coins have too much open fields and a non appealing design. That said, for the most part, only those Ike dollars grading in the top condition for each year (some years only achieved MS 66 while others achieved MS 69) for business strikes or silver uncirculated issues are worth premium and those in proof need to be PF 69 UC to obtain premium. That grade is difficult to achieve with the large flat fields especially on the obverse. There are a few varieties and in 1972, there were three different types, of which the Type 2 is considered a "key" in the series, but once again, it also needs to be in good condition. I believe there was a recent discovery of a reverse of one missing a crater but this is not something I would even spend time trying to look for as it is on the level of those searching for another 1982 D Bronze Transitional Small Date Lincoln Cent.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:41 PM, jimbean802 said:

I saw something on youtube ...

Just based on that I could have said there is a 99% chance it was just click-bait inaccurate or misleading info unless it was something from ANA or one of the TPGs. :insane:

You really don't see Ike's out there in circulation often. My local coin shop sells ike's a bit better condition then these for $1.75 each. the bookkeeper at a store I work at knows I'm a coin collector and she sold me five for $5 because someone spent them. Where are these all at? They made millions of them. 

On 11/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, edhalbrook said:

You really don't see Ike's out there in circulation often. My local coin shop sells ike's a bit better condition then these for $1.75 each. the bookkeeper at a store I work at knows I'm a coin collector and she sold me five for $5 because someone spent them. Where are these all at? They made millions of them. 

Many were saved by non-collectors who received them as gifts in the 1970s or who hoarded them because they believed they would be valuable someday. I've encountered a number of non-collectors who have one or several in their drawers. My cousins and I each received one or more from a relative in 1971-72; I think my cousins still have them even though they're not collectors. I've also seen several stashes of hundreds of pieces each.  A member of my coin club has been selling off such a stash in groups of 20 or more at face value. 

Unlike the small-sized modern dollars, Eisenhower dollars aren't accepted by most vending and transit fare machines. They're also too heavy for most people to want to carry around.

I was given 5 of them by my parents when I was about 4 years old, well before I even started collecting coins. I had taken a look at them about three years ago and realized while they were uncirculated, they were definitely not choice specimens so I sold them off on eBay and managed to get about $3 for each of them. They were all 1971 D's.