• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Penny weighs 2.5g. Just wondering if it’s just another worthless penny. Thanks
1 1

10 posts in this topic

The 1969 Lincoln Memorial Cent is made of brass and should weigh 3.11g. I do note that the scale you are using that is in the photo is one of the cheap pocket scales likely made in China and has time and again on this forum given inaccurate weights from similar scales. Have you calibrated the scale recently? Also, the scale is giving weights only to the tenth decimal place and not hundredths which is necessary to use a scale that weighs to 2 decimal places when weighing coins. The problem with a scale that only reads to the tenths is that the scale rounds up or down the tenth decimal place so it leaves more room for error when trying to obtain the correct weight. 

I note there is a pock like surface from damage on the obverse of the cent. Whether that was caused by acid or some other corrosive means, I do not think it stripped off enough metal to drop the weight down to only 2.5g, especially since there is not the same damage on the reverse.

All this said, though, does not change the fact that the cent is damaged and is now only worth face value.

Do not throw it in the trash. Spend it and put it back in circulation.

Edited by powermad5000

The best three pieces of advice I can offer, and I'm being deadly serious:

1) Stop examining corroded coins.

2) Stop weighing every coin.

3) Stop using high magnification to examine coins.

Now, if that stands in opposition to what you learned previously, you were lied to.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2023 at 10:27 PM, powermad5000 said:

I et. al. have tried to inform the OP of this. I know I suggested to get away from modern issues and begin to look at more classic coinage, but to each his own.

Moderns are fine, IF he were searching for the BEST EXAMPLES HE CAN FIND, but he can't wrap his mind around that. The search needs to be for PERFECTION, not IMPERFECTION.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, KoyMihn said:

1969 Penny weighs 2.5g. Just wondering if it’s just another worthless penny

The mint spec for a 1969 1C would be 3.11g +/- 0.13g, so even considering wear it would be likely under spec on weight it that weight can even be relied upon given the type of scale you are using.  Also, when was the last time that scale was calibrated with a known weight?

But even if the blank was punched from a slightly thinner sheet that would not be a significant mint error.  As previously advised you need to put away the scale and scope and look for real errors and varieties.