• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Off centre error designation
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi 👋. I am a collector of South African coins. Specifically coins of the Zar period. I have recently come across a coin that is struck off centre and I was wondering if NGC would grade it as such. If not, what other error could it be slabbed as?

Thanks

05A05CDA-F61E-4884-A61F-7B0E05F0713E.jpeg

BB86DC30-232A-447A-9285-F2C7AA6943E6.jpeg

427AABBF-F7D5-4189-8677-C122FE0D2124.jpeg

• Administrator

Hello @LucaCollect, thank you for contacting us. NGC does not grade coins with an off-center designation, however, we do designate coins as mint errors. We would need the coin in hand to confirm if the coin qualifies as a mint error. If you are interested in submitting coins to us for grading, you can find out more on the process at How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com) and our grading fees at NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your coin doesn't appear to have been struck off-center but to have been struck from a slightly misaligned reverse die, which is considered a quality control issue rather than a mint error.  Even if it were an off-center strike, it would be too minor to warrant much interest. The coin is also well-worn and scratched, so unless it is a rare date or variety that would be worth at least several hundred dollars even in its current condition, it wouldn't be worth the cost of submission. 

A significant off-center strike that would be designated as a mint error by a third-party grading service such as NGC would look more like this:

image.thumb.png.ce3d66ec96572100f6c7f56421e8ab9b.png

image.thumb.png.004435cce40973e23084581a9799de95.png

NGC photos.