• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error in Type Set Scores for Proof Walking Liberty Half Dollars
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I have noticed an apparent error in the scoring for 1936-42 proof Walking Liberty half dollars in type set categories.  (The "Request Score Correction" function would be cumbersome to use due to the number of sets affected and the nature of the problem.)  This issue came to my attention when a PF65 1939 half dollar I recently acquired received a lower score (1152) in my type sets than coins graded PF 64 or 64+ (1264).

The specific set categories I have observed affected are as follows:

U.S. Type Set 1792-1964

U.S. Type Set, including Modern Issues

Basic U.S. Type Set, With Gold

Basic U.S. Type Set, No Gold

20th Century Series Type Set, Proofs Only

20th Century Series Type Set, Proofs and Non-Proofs

Half Dollar Type Set

For 1936-42 Walking Liberty half dollars in the "PF" category, the pertinent scoring in these sets is as follows:

63              1156

63 + or *    1192

63 +*         1228

64              1264

64 + or *    1264

64 +*         1264

65              1152

65 + or *    1228

65 +*         1304 

The scoring of coins graded PF 65, 65+ or 65* lower than those graded PF 64, 64+, or 64+* is presumably in error and should be corrected.  The awarding of the same score of 1264 for coins graded PF 64 whether or not they have "+" or "*" qualifiers also appears to be inconsistent with the Registry's usual practice.

I appreciate your assistance with this issue.

• Administrator

Hello, @Sandon

Please post all NGC score requests through the system as show here:

We have quite a backlog and process all requests in the order they are received. Thanks for your assistance, and have a good day.

The problem appears to have been corrected, at least with regard to the sets in which I participate, with PF 65 coins now allotted 1,284 points. Thank you for your assistance.