• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repousse Coin Carnage...what a world we live in. . .
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I know that this may constitute as numismatical heresy, but I got to admit, Repousse coins, it is quite an artistically creative way to waste a coin.  Until recently, I was unaware of this form of metal mutilation.  Yes, I live in a box, under a rock, down by the river.  Prior to diving into the numismatic nut-bar factory kool-aid pitcher, I had but only one use for money: to spend it.  Once I surfaced, after having drunk the nut-bar nectar, I found that I can make spiritual tokens, create neet-o flooring solutions, punch my coin into a sculpture, scrape a coin until becomes abstract art, etc. . .   It is no longer just money, it is a lifestyle!

image.thumb.png.4a0b5ce3419783d9c7f75bb9e413f4ad.png

image.thumb.png.8a702b8f2e08fb4221ec1c6209021c5f.png

image.thumb.png.289754017a63372fe71eecef7db78b01.png

penny.thumb.jpg.72706d29cdcd8f2536d5a8f2ce429f24.jpg

On 11/11/2023 at 3:15 AM, dprince1138 said:

A large number of half dollars were repurposed in the 19th century as romance medallions, which seem to have a relatively high sales price.

They're called love tokens--I've never before heard of them referred to as "romance medallions"--and, although they were made from coins of all denominations, they were usually made from smaller coins such as Seated dimes (as shown) or gold dollars, not as commonly larger coins such as half dollars.  There are avid collectors of love tokens and the pieces with the liberty head transformed into a three-dimensional representation--repousse means "raised in relief"--as shown in the initial post and Idhair's, provided that they are original to the mid-nineteenth to early twentieth centuries when such items were commonly given as gifts or purchased as novelties. 

The Lincoln cents with all the scrapes are, in my opinion, simply mutilated coins that have been ruined and would be of no interest to any knowledgeable collector. I fail to see anything artistic or aesthetically pleasing about them.

On 11/11/2023 at 2:46 AM, cobymordet said:

I know that this may constitute as numismatical heresy, but I got to admit, Repousse coins, it is quite an artistically creative way to waste a coin.  Until recently, I was unaware of this form of metal mutilation.

Then you might find "Hobo Nickels" or "Potty Dollars" interesting in addition to the others referenced.

Confusion seems to be rampant;

"... down by the river",

Cue Neil Young "Down by the River, I shot my old Lady".

Cue Jimi Hendrix "where are you going with that gun in your hand".

Edited by dprince1138