• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

contact me if this coin has a value
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum

First, this is forum for buying and selling coins. You should have posted this in the “Newbie “ Forum.   

As far as your coins go, the Italian coin is worth 500 Lira and the Canadian is worth 1 dollar Canadian.   
Both are only worth face value. Why did you think they were worth more?

On 11/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

First, this is forum for buying and selling coins. You should have posted this in the “Newbie “ Forum.   

As far as your coins go, the Italian coin is worth 500 Lira and the Canadian is worth 1 dollar Canadian.   

The question is a valid one. But since Italy is now using the euro, the 500 Lira may be nearly worthless. I have several, and that has always been my assumption. 

Although you need to be in-country, some countries have/had deadlines for Paper/Coin exchanges.  Unfortunately, most coin exchange has ended, although some countries have an "unlimited" timetable.  Website below will illuminate all who seek light in the darkness.  

I need to get to the Union of Europe quick-like.  I got 20lb. of Euro-trash coinage rotting away.  Just need to spend 2k on a ticket, 6mo. on a passport and I can cash in $300 worth of corroding "dead" money.  Woo Hoo!  ...I'm leavin' on a jet plane. . . Sorry, Italy passed away in 2012, if it is any consolation, the last time I was in Italy (30yrs. ago), 500 lira only got me the worst bottle of wine you never want to taste.  But hey, Canada is still loonie for the Loonies! 

https://european-union.europa.eu/institutions-law-budget/euro/exchanging-national-currency_en

On 11/7/2023 at 5:41 PM, Greenstang said:

I was under the impression that the Italian lira was demonetized, which would mean it wasn't worth anything. Was I incorrect?

I was under the impression that the Italian lira was demonetized, which would mean it wasn't worth anything. Was I incorrect?

No, you are vprobably right. I did not realise the Lira was was demonetized so it probably worthless. At least the Canadian Dollar is still worth a Dollar Canadian.

INTERMISSION:

Anybody fluent in Braille?  I would like to know the secret hidden in plain sight behind that arrangement of dots as arrayed around the edge of the Italian coin in post position 1.

Edited by Henri Charriere
To complete my thought.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:43 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I would like to know the secret hidden in plain sight behind that arrangement of dots as arrayed around the edge of the Italian coin in post position 1.

The denomination, L 500