• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cert of Authenticity by The Washington Mint Helpful?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

My Dad gave me a few coins, one of which is "1997 China Mascot Unicorn Kirin Silver 10 yuan Ag.999 1oz Coin" that has a Certificate of Authenticity by The Washington Mint. Does that mean that The Washington Mint "certified" the coin or is that something that only happens through coin examination by organizations such as NGC? Does The Washington Mint Authenticity help get a better price for a coin? (Sorry, new to all of this)

On 11/7/2023 at 6:58 PM, bobriensan said:

Thank you dprince. There are indeed a number of these same coins on eBay that I've been watching. Pricing for most of them uncertified are $60s-$80s, and NGC certified are in the $200s-$300s.

There may have been different levels of minting, such as proof or gem proof.  As well as the simple fact of having a coin professionally graded.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:41 AM, bobriensan said:

Does The Washington Mint Authenticity help get a better price for a coin?

No. A cert. from the Washington Mint is worthless. Being in an NGC holder is much different.   

On 11/7/2023 at 8:07 PM, dprince1138 said:

There may have been different levels of minting, such as proof or gem proof.

You are incorrectly mixing strike type (e.g. Proof or PF) with an adjectival grade modifier (e.g. Brilliant, Choice or Gem) so definitively.  A proper example would be "Gem Uncirculated" or " Gem BU".  I think you need to start over from scratch so you don't keep putting your foot in your mouth.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/adjectival-grades/

And as Sandon noted at the beginning of this thread it's a duplicate post that has already been answered in detail.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/431894-cert-of-authenticity-by-the-washington-mint-helpful/

Edited by EagleRJO

Thanks all. I realized my original question should be in the Newbie area so I copied it here, but I wasn't able to figure out how to delete the original post. At any rate, I have my answers now, which I appreciate. So both posts can be deleted/archived/closed. Just not sure how to do that.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:31 PM, bobriensan said:

So both posts can be deleted/archived/closed. Just not sure how to do that.

You can only Edit and/or Hide your own posts.  If you decided to post the question in a different area initially you could have edited it to read say "Deleted - Question Reposted in Newbie Section", or something similar.

Once people start responding I would just leave it, or ask an Admistator (see the "Ask NGC/NCS" section) to move the whole topic.  I can't recall an entire topic being deleted, which would likely only be done if the entire thing was offensive, and I think threads stay open for comment quite a while.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:29 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think threads stay open for comment quite a while.

Yes they do ..... Just ask QA  our  resident thread resurrection pro.    He can find a post hidden in the henhouse

Edited by J P M