• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deformed quarter
1 1

32 posts in this topic

For @edhalbrook, I would take anything still resembling currency, no matter what shape it may be in to any open drawer cash register transaction, one coin at a time. I believe those being damaged but still being legal tender that the merchant "should" take them, although you might find some who refuse. I would say a bank would also take them. As for the bent ones, they are already heavily damaged so I don't see what would be wrong with taking them out to the garage and putting them on the vise anvil and straightening them back out with a hammer. It is not like it is going to lessen its value any as they are already beat to "crud". As for the rest of the extremely corroded which can only be denomination identified by size and nothing more, I don't know what the rule is. I would say nobody would take that. Maybe just keep those as "junk finds" labelled as such. They sort of in a way serve an educational purpose as to what happens to a coin once it passes below Poor 1.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:50 PM, edhalbrook said:

Hardcore metal detecting people must have a literal ton of this stuff. The mint used to buy it but I think they stopped when covid hit.

Perhaps that has changed now that "the pandemic is over".