• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my coin worth getting graded?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

Your 1864 two cent piece, a Large Motto variety, looks pretty nice for the grade, judging by your pictures. Other than a few rim dings, it doesn't look too banged up. It does appear to have a bit of wear, which would put it in the AU grade range, and it is sporting a couple of interesting die cracks. The weak "6" is likely the result of a partially grease-filled recess in the die, which did not allow the numeral to be fully struck. It also has a fingerprint on the obverse side, which some collectors are put off by, but doesn't really bother me. Although it is hard to tell just from pictures, it doesn't look to me as if it has been cleaned.

I would put the value at around $100, so I don't think it would be worth the cost to have it graded. If it were mine, I would put it in an album or 2x2 and enjoy it as it is.

Edited by Just Bob

Another important consideration is if there is a particular die variey.  For example, the 18 may have been repunched, however, the tell tale signs may be very difficult to see.  These die varieties are generally graded with a rarity rating, between 1 and 10, where the higher the number, the fewer the occurrences of the die have been found.   An example, is this bust half dollar where the 50 had been repunched over an inverted 50, which is refered to as 50/20.

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

cappedhalfreverse1807b.jpg

I strongly agree with the original assessment that this circulated (XF-AU) 1864 large motto two cent piece (the most common date) is not worth the substantial cost of submission to a third-party grading service. Many, probably most of them, have one or more date numerals repunched. The "1" on your coin appears slightly repunched and the "6" is weak likely due to a filled die, which is not a variety or significant enough to be classified as a mint error. The "8" appears normal for this issue. Additionally, NGC will not attribute die varieties that are not included in VarietyPlus. See Shield Two Cents (1864-1873) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for a list and photos. Only varieties with very strong repunchings or other significant features are worth a significant premium and then only to a relatively small group of collectors.

As you may be aware, two blue-ribbon committees are presently reviewing a proposal to re-issue classic coins in observance of the country's 250th anniversary in 2026.

If it were up to me, I would have included an example of your piece. Unfortunately, their vision does not appear to jibe with mine. Shortcomings aside, it is a mighty fine piece any collector would be proud to own.  (thumbsu