• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to this coin? Take the poll 2
1 1

What happened to this coin? Take the Poll!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your answer 1-4

• Environmental damage due to coin being buried in moist soils.
    • Damaged caused by acid or other caustic chemicals.
    • Improperly cleaned, wiped or whizzed.
    • Saltwater damage.

15 posts in this topic

Do you know how to recognize common types of damage that can happen to a coin? Look at the coin below carefully. Determine the type of damage the coin presents. Then take the poll above. The surface of the coin holds the key. You may describe your reason for your answer in the post below. Goodluck

1783 Spain.jpg

1783 Spain 2.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/5/2023 at 8:24 AM, Sandon said:

Although I voted on the assumption that this coin has been independently authenticated, based on the photos I would otherwise suspect it of being a cast counterfeit.

It is not a counterfeit but I can see what would lead you to believe that. The damage on this coin causes the coins surface, details and strike to appear mushy, wrinkly and irregular. The only caveat is you cannot fake this type of damage. Time lots of it.. is required. There are clues in this statement that will help people figure out what's happened to this coin. Read carefully.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Went with the acid/caustic guess.  Technically, saltwater is a subset of acids/caustics since if they are mixed together you get "water" and "salt."

Example:     HCl             +          NaOH             =    H2O   +      NaCl

Hydrochloric Acid  +  Sodium Hydroxide  =  Water  +  Table Salt

On 11/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Went with the acid/caustic guess.  Technically, saltwater is a subset of acids/caustics since if they are mixed together you get "water" and "salt."

Example:     HCl             +          NaOH             =    H2O   +      NaCl

Hydrochloric Acid  +  Sodium Hydroxide  =  Water  +  Table Salt

You are correct in a overall sense. But saltwater is not a caustic chemical. All water has a pH high enough to dissolve many many things over time.

[While we await the arrival of the Mad Scientist to explain what he did to this coin -- and why, I thought I should mention Moderation "disappeared" my reply so it's safe to assume caustic household cleaners, particularly those cited by name, may be too suggestive for viewers of this column.  As it stands, counterfeiting is out, cleaning is out, not because no one voted for it but because no one cannot imagine any collector engaging in it to such excess.

That leaves exposure to a liquid which Moderation will not permit me to mention by name. Fair enough.  Contrary to what some members may believe, Moderation is alive and well on the Chat boards and they have an array of tools in their arsenal to reign in dues-paying lurkers (ne "guests") like me.]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing

On 11/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, Greenstang said:

I will take a stab at it and say salt water damage.

If that were true, however, that giant silver bar, dubbed the Eureka, recovered from the wreck of the S.S. Central America (1857) would have looked like a Tommy gun had riddled it with bullets after being exposed to salt water for an extended period of time and did not appear the worse for wear.

Well, only three (3) more votes needed.

Thank you for participating in the poll. I will now reveal the answer to the poll question. If you choose saltwater damage you are correct. Saltwater damage occurs when a silver or copper coin has been subjected to ocean water over a long period of time. Gold coins do not corrode in saltwater. They can however tarnish and be attached to/in conglomerate material. Very slowly a chemical reaction with salt water corrodes silver and copper coins. Some coins found in the ocean are in sediment layers. These layers can protect a coin from more severe damage from the saltwater. However most times these coins are found tarnished black and/or heavily encrusted with sand and /or coral conglomerates. If necessary and when appropriate the desirable silver and copper coins professionally recovered from shipwrecks are professionally catalogued, stabilized, conserved and then graded by TPGs. The coin shown above has been conserved. First the raw find coin is soaked in distilled water for over 48 hrs to stop the saltwater reaction on the surface of the coin. Next a proprietary method was used to remove a layer of thick black tarnish from the coin. The resulting coin is what you now see above. Now the coin can be encapsulated with the Shipwreck Effect label. That's how you get the "Shipwreck Effect" grade on your coins when you are a registered treasure/ wreck salvage diver or company. Thanks for participating see you next time!