• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Mint re-issue. What’s your pick?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I took the quiz... and somehow feel disappointed.  In fact, cheated!  If you're going to go through all the trouble of re-issuing the 1909 VDB, why wouldn't you include the S.F. mintmark? Some designs already enjoy current use. I have nothing against S.L. Walkers, but aren't they already being accommodated in bullion?

Some really interesting greatly appreciated but seldom seen examples are lost in the sauce while the Kennedy Half is promoted as one pick. Why aren't the ones being minted now being distributed for circulation? When's the last time someone even got one in change?

I'll not say anything more, but if you talk classic coins the first thing that comes to mind are "obsolete" coins which have long been withdrawn from circulation. Whole categories of wonderful series were overlooked. It's supposed to be a tribute to the 250th anniversary of the U.S. and instead of re-introducing the Two-Cent piece, the first to feature the motto IGWT, we've got apparatchniks shoving wild-haired coppers down our collective throats.

I am going to write the BEP and push for re-issuance of the "Educational Series" of notes.

Thank you @Lem E for the sneak preview!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:00 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I took the quiz... and somehow feel disappointed.  In fact, cheated!  If you're going to go through all the trouble of re-issuing the 1909 VDB, why wouldn't you include the S.F. mintmark? Some designs already enjoy current use. I have nothing against S.L. Walkers, but aren't they already being accommodated in bullion?

Some really interesting greatly appreciated but seldom seen examples are lost in the sauce while the Kennedy Half is promoted as one pick. Why aren't the ones being minted now being distributed for circulation? When's the last time someone even got one in change?

I'll not say anything more, but if you talk classic coins the first thing that comes to mind are "obsolete" coins which have long been withdrawn from circulation. Whole categories of wonderful series were overlooked. It's supposed to be a tribute to the 250th anniversary of the U.S. and instead of re-introducing the Two-Cent piece, the first to feature the motto IGWT, we've got apparatchniks shoving wild-haired coppers down our collective throats.

I am going to write the BEP and push for re-issuance of the "Educational Series" of notes.

Thank you @Lem E for the sneak preview!

Yea I thought you would be able to nominate anything and not have to pick from a list. I also wish they would do a re-issue of the coin as it was and not a gold coin unless it was a gold coin to start with.

Edited by Lem E
Add

On 11/5/2023 at 7:52 AM, World Colonial said:

100% sure the mintage of any retro issue won't be anywhere near 10K, unless it's the DE.  100K is probably the minimum.

Including a 2017 bullion and numerous modern commemoratives as options is plain stupid. 

Why is the Morgan and Peace dollar on the list?

A minority probably have noticeable interest, like the Draped Bust and Gorbrecht dollar.

I agree. I couldnt believe some of those listed were even on the list. 

I think this is a wonderful idea. However I think some of the coins on the list leave much to be desired (such as the Kennedy Half). While other coins are great additions that I feel no one talks about as great coins (1986 and 1987 gold $5 commems). While other coins should've made the cut but didn't such as the Type 2 SLQ instead of the Type 1 or the Barber coins which I feel are underrated. 

On 11/5/2023 at 2:06 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

If they are going to make more than 100k of these than I'll pass. If they are confirmed limited mintages of less than 10k each type I may look at them.

If they mint so few, chances are you won't get one.

The mintage for the 2009 UHR Saint recreation was sufficient that everybody could get one without paying idiotic premiums.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:53 AM, Coinbuf said:

That was a very disappointing list for sure, it is also unfortunate that the survey had no provision to add any comments for each item on the list.

...agree, the only way to leave a comment was to vote "not at all"  i.e. a 1....

On 11/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, olympicsos said:

or the Barber coins which I feel are underrated. 

Given the option to choose from all predecessor US designs, I'll make the wild guess that Barber coinage ranks close to the bottom as a preferred option.

The 1913 LHN was illustrated, but I assume no coin chosen will have a retro date. There won't be any restrikes.

I would like to see them design issues such as animals, insects, types of fish, and things like that. Make series out of them. Instead of going back and and using designs thats already been done once already. Do something different. I know other countries have already done it but they can do versions with animals found in our country. Maybe 3 or 4 designs a year on 1 oz silver planchets. Maybe even do a run of reptiles. For example Id love to have a US silver dollar with a big copperhead or a whitetail buck. That would be a cool series to collect. Maybe have the same obverse and each reverse a different animal. Just a suggestion of what Id personally love to collect.

Note:  Held for review by Moderation.

[FWIW...  The link to quiz is inoperative on my wife's antique android, so I Googled the matter and was referred to CU, which I mention only to state I wanted to access the quiz particulars without re-taking the quiz which some would find ethically repugnant, i.e., if it is even possible.

What I found among other things was the "rationale" used by the blue-ribbon committees, a list of each of the 21 coins as well as photos supplemented by member discussions.

I was so displeased with the entire matter, as apparently others were on this Forum, that I vowed (privately) to post my own quiz which would give our own membership some idea as to where we stand on free choice.

But I quickly became disenchanted with all the talk concerning re-issues, re-strikes, retro reproductions and, worst of all, not only talk of proposed mintages, but caps on same. Ka-ching!

I am a simple viejo in the twilight of my life. When I first proposed celebrating the 250th anniversary, I had a modest image of classic coin designs. I wanted the up-and-coming hobbyist to experience what some of us older folks had decades earlier, in hand.  Indian Heads, Buffaloes, etc. What I found, much to my dismay, was not a version of an old Twilight Zone episode but minds which do not share my vision. Ideally, in addition to all the jetsam and flotsam already out there, I would have wanted the seven basic coin denominations -- cent, nickel, dime  quarter, half-dollar and dollar -- produced in present-day mintage runs to insure they would remain in circulation for a long time, but the Mint threw in the term "numismatic" which killed the dream for me and hence a cherry-picked, restricted list of "picks" and the proferred regurgitated monstrosities. When there is a classic coin produced for every man, woman and child imbued with a sense of nostalgia, I'm in.  Until then, I'm out. Oh, and incidentally, including any coin 99.44% of which the public has never seen, heard of or even knew existed, on a jury-rigged quiz, is not my idea of a classic.

I thank @Lem E again for bringing to the memberships' attention word on this development which otherwise may very well have eluded our notice.]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing.

Maybe make another Ultra High Relief coin....but this time, recreate the original MCMVII dimensions.  I guess that would mean it would have to be 90% gold, 10% copper to increase the size of the alloy.