• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So these may not look like much. but trying to find 2006 Return to Monticello circulated coins in good shape is another cool find.

Raw 2006 P.jpg

Raw 2006 P reverse.jpg

raw 2006 D.jpg

Raw 2006 D reverse.jpg

I never knew these were tough, but I do understand that the circulation version is tougher than the matte version in the uncirculated set. Finding really nice ‘05-‘10 circulation pieces is important for completeness. 

On 11/3/2023 at 6:05 PM, VKurtB said:

I never knew these were tough, but I do understand that the circulation version is tougher than the matte version in the uncirculated set. Finding really nice ‘05-‘10 circulation pieces is important for completeness. 

Yes Kurt, The 05-10 coins are not easy to find like these two I posted. I have found some proofs out there but I have never found a SP coin in the wild. That would be a unlikely find IMO. 

On 11/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, VKurtB said:

These were available through the mint in P&D rolls and bags too I think. I went through about 4 rolls and most of them were pretty marked up and lots of nicks. None of them looked great at all. 

Another problem is that the TPGs have misattributed some of the satin finish coins for high grade circulation strikes. I have a top pop MS-68 6FS 2006 coin with a population of 2. The problem is that it is a satin finish coin from the uncirculated set with the wrong label. Makes me wonder if the other top pop is a satin finish coin as well.  I have seen others like this. I can’t in good conscience put it in my set, but I have seen others that do have them in their sets. 

JPM, this is funny..the other day, you were telling us how you were having a tough time finding a mint state Jefferson nickel 2023 D. Well today, I received a solicitation from VFW, ant attached to the letter were 4 brand spanking new Jefferson 2023 D nickels! Not a mark on them! I can send you a couple if you like.

Bill

IMG_5724.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Typo

For approaching 20 years in circulation, those are some pretty darn good finds @J P M.  The only problem I found with those charity coins @Mr.Bill347, is that the lightweight "glue" they use on the back to stick them to the letter imparts some kind of chemical reaction to the surface. If you pull those off and let them sit for a while (3 months or so), you will probably find an outline of the glue blob on the reverse. I have not done everyone's acetone thing on here, but just something to be aware of. I think the change would still happen even if you had them slabbed right away if that residue was not removed from the surface.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:33 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

JPM, this is funny..the other day, you were telling us how you were having a tough time finding a mint state Jefferson nickel 2023 D. Well today, I received a solicitation from VFW, ant attached to the letter were 4 brand spanking new Jefferson 2023 D nickels! Not a mark on them! I can send you a couple if you like.

Bill

IMG_5724.jpeg

Thanks for thinking of me Bill. LoL I am all set the 2023 Denver coins are starting too show up more now because it is almost 2024 :roflmao:

On 11/4/2023 at 1:25 AM, powermad5000 said:

For approaching 20 years in circulation, those are some pretty darn good finds @J P M.  The only problem I found with those charity coins @Mr.Bill347, is that the lightweight "glue" they use on the back to stick them to the letter imparts some kind of chemical reaction to the surface. If you pull those off and let them sit for a while (3 months or so), you will probably find an outline of the glue blob on the reverse. I have not done everyone's acetone thing on here, but just something to be aware of. I think the change would still happen even if you had them slabbed right away if that residue was not removed from the surface.

They used a rubberized dot on these and they are about as flawless as you could get. Even full steps!

IMG_7628.jpeg

IMG_7627.jpeg