• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1926p Standing Liberty Quarter. . . . or not. . . . ?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2023 at 1:53 AM, cobymordet said:

trolling Ebay ... Lots of inconsistencies

BAIL!

And I prefer to go to CoinFacts for a specific year and mintmark comparison picture like the attached if there is no specific date or mark variety on NGC VarietyPlus, and they typically have enough grades to check that next.  I only go to PhotoGrade if there isn't a good specific year and mark grade example.

1926 (P) 25C PCGS MS.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/3/2023 at 2:30 AM, dprince1138 said:

Also, I create an image with side to side comparisons.

I have never found a need to create a comparison image like those, and it's limited.  I do a split screen with the listed coin and the comparison coin side-by-side.  Then you can zoom in each half of the split screen to compare things in more detail directly, like the dates zoomed in.

The 1926 is an example of a Variety 2, recessed date style Standing Liberty quarter of 1925-30. If your question is about the coin's authenticity, you should only compare it to coins of that variety and preferably of the same date. The 1916-17 Variety 1 has many design differences from the Variety 2, and there are enough differences in fine details even between the rare 1916 and the 1917 Variety 1 issues that it is sometimes possible to distinguish dateless 1916s from 1917s. 

Based on the photos, the 1926 in the initial post appears to be genuine and in Extremely Fine condition. However, one can't definitely authenticate coins from photos, and nowadays coins of all types and conditions are subject to being counterfeited.

Bonehead stupidity on my part.  It does appear genuine.  I crammed my head up my butt trying to find a rabbit only to turn into a mule.  Apples and oranges. - Thanks!

On 11/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, Sandon said:

The 1916-17 Variety 1 has many design differences from the [1926] Variety 2 ...

Good pick up as the 1917 25C from PhotoGrade used for comparison would have big differences like a date not recessed and no stars below the eagle that you would expect to see on a 1926 25C.  One of the reasons I always look for an exact date and mintmark match.  I don't see good overall photos for SLQ's in NGC VarietyPlus for comparison and to look for die indicators.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, Sandon said:

... one can't definitely authenticate coins from photos, and nowadays coins of all types and conditions are subject to being counterfeited

Good reminder for raw coins, and some of the counterfeits are very deceptive.

On 11/3/2023 at 2:58 AM, EagleRJO said:

I do a split screen with the listed coin and the comparison coin side-by-side.  Then you can zoom in each half of the split screen to compare things in more detail directly, like the dates zoomed in.

Like the attached screenshot comparing the dates with a CoinFacts photo, which is pretty simple to do.

1926 (P) 25C Date Comparison.jpg